Saturday, March 1, 2014

GOD Understands?...Think Again…

This journey...called Life...is a challenging one, especially when you are striving to be a Christian. We are faced with fears, doubts, and temptations on a daily basis.

I have to constantly remember Romans 12:2 (NKJV): “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”

Yet, I become so perplexed when I hear people, especially those who say that they are Christians saying:
  • “Although I drink socially, it is in moderation.”
  •  “I know I’m a Single Christian, but I like to privately engage in sex.’”
  •   “I do use profanity, but only as a means to express myself.”
  •   “Like the song says, ‘If Loving You Is Wrong, I Don’t Wanna Be Right.’”

Why do we assume we can say, think, & do whatever we want to, and that GOD will understand?  That our actions have no consequences?

I hear people justify their actions by saying that they “repent” for these behaviors, with the full intent to repeat them. Isn't that just “reporting”?

Merriam-Webster defines:
REPENT:  to feel or show that you are sorry for something bad or wrong that you did and that you want to do what is right :to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life
REPORT:  to give an account :to present oneself :to account for oneself :to give information about (something) :to tell people about (something) :to make a report about (something): to describe (a feeling, condition, etc.)

I am often amazed when I hear people PREACH to others to “get back into church,” or proclaim themselves to be a “Christian.” However, their behaviors quite frankly, mirror the world. They look just like the people they are supposed to be influencing and bringing to Christ.

People in the World should sense something that is different – that is “peculiar” about you. What is it about you that you are not like everyone else? 1 Peter 2:9 (KJV) says: “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light;”

When you decide to earnestly be obedient, you may lose some friends, who were accustomed to you being like them. It may be God’s Way of clearing the way for people who can help you draw closer to Him. It is often difficult, but necessary, if you want the ultimate reward of living eternally with your Heavenly Father.

Sometimes, you get "signs" that you are on the right path.

Cases in point:
#1:   I was once in a meeting with several colleagues. The manager conducting the meeting was understandably frustrated at a client. He blurted out an expletive. I remember that I just unconsciously lowered my head. (Profanity is painful for me…it is unnecessary and synonymous of finger nails being scratched on a chalkboard.) He paused, took a deep breath, and then said,“Please forgive my language, Janette.” I nodded to him my acceptance of his apology…and found it interesting that he didn’t apologize to the group…only me.

#2:   I was hosting an Information Table for my employer/university. A young, Asian woman stopped by to ask me about our MBA program. She shared that she had graduated with her Engineering Degree, had just gotten hired at this Fortune 500 company, and was here at corporate for training. I was happy for her & gave her tons of encouragement. She began to walk off, but doubled-back and said, “Could I ask you something?”  I said sure…thinking she wanted to move forward with her MBA.

She began sharing with me that in her training, whenever she tried to say something, she was interrupted or dismissed. I emphatically said, “Oh...No! They need to understand that you are God’s Creation. He blessed you with the talent to become an engineer! They must learn to respect that. Try this…the next time someone tries to interrupt you, turn to them, hold your hand up, and firmly-yet-politely say…’Excuse Me! I’m not finished yet,’ and continue what you were saying.” She gasped! I told her, “They will have the same reaction. However, I guarantee you, they will not interrupt you again.” I gave her my impassioned quote about “training people how to treat you.” She took notes of my advice.

She then paused…looked me directly in the eyes and said…"You are a Christian, aren’t you?” I warmly replied, “Jesus Christ IS the center of my being and I do strive daily to be like him…so, yes, I am.”

She smiled and left. We connected on LinkedIn months later. She said my advice worked like a charm. J She has been promoted several times since then in her professional career.
#3:   My sister and I went to a friend’s 50th Birthday Celebration several years ago. We sat at a table with other people we knew. Everyone was drinking alcohol. We politely declined. The DJ’s wife, both friends of ours, approached the table with two Coca-Colas. She proclaimed,“My husband told me to bring these to the two, non-drinking MINORS at the table.”J  Everyone at the table burst out laughing, including us. We told her to give him our Utmost Thanks. I was humbled that our “light” shined bright enough for them to respect this about us.

Being a Christian is an ongoing, rigorous endeavor, focusing on our thoughts, words, and behaviors. It is something we must work on every second, every minute, every hour, every day, every week, every month, every year…continuously. It is hard work, but as the saying goes, “the Retirement Plan is out of this World.” J

No comments:

Post a Comment