Thursday, March 6, 2014

 “Are Ya’ Feeling Me???”

(In Loving Memory of Sis. Pearl Steward, 98 years old, Laid to Rest 3/5/2014, R.I.P., Sweet Lady...)
I loved when this wonderfully-stern, yet hilarious woman would say this after explaining something to someone.
This was her way of asking, “Do you understand me?”
As human beings, we all thrive on the need to be understood.
Per Oprah Winfrey:
"I've talked to nearly 30,000 people on this show, and all 30,000 had one thing in common: They all wanted validation. If I could reach through this television and sit on your sofa or sit on a stool in your kitchen right now, I would tell you that every single person you will ever meet shares that common desire. They want to know: 'Do you see me? Do you hear me? Does what I say mean anything to you?'
Validation is such a powerful quality. I know personally, it is an exhilarating feeling to feel that I am seen, heard, and acknowledged.
I am reminded of a powerful moment on the mission trip I went on with the Schrader Lane Church of Christ in Nigeria, West Africa back in 1997. We were there to visit the Nigerian Christian Institute School we help build and support. When we arrived, the entire campus, approximately 500 youth, were there to greet us. They looked at us with awe & wonder, as if we were celebrities, saying “The Americans are here.” I remember being overwhelmed by the attention, the excitement, and a sea of blue uniforms.
After our Official Welcome by the headmaster, we headed toward our dormitory. Out of the habit of being a “Southern Girl” and “my Daddy’s child,” I smiled, squeezed the shoulder of one of the students, and said, “Hi. How are you?" The response was amazing! It was like seeing a flower bloom in front of you! Her eyes lit up, she bowed, and she replied, with the widest smile,“Hello, Madame!” I whispered to the others in our group, “We are not leaving until we have spoken to every child here.” As the others did the same, it was like witnessing a valley of flowers blossoming at once. By the time we made it to the dormitory, I was an emotional mess. The children seemed to radiate profound gratitude that “The Americans saw ME.”

From this day on, I will fondly ask others, whether verbally or mentally, after I explain something…especially something I am passionate about, as an homage to Sis. Pearl:  “Are Ya’ Feeling Me???” J

No comments:

Post a Comment