Friday, March 7, 2014

Kindness, Service & Quiet Humility…

Oftentimes, we are guilty of talking about ethics, service, integrity, kindness, and humility, yet find ourselves challenged to actually put them into action. Some of the most profound lessons you can receive are the simple, small ones you physically see for yourselves.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love." - Mother Teresa
 Kindness is a language that all can understand. Even the blind can see it and the deaf can hear it.” – Mark Twain

Here are a few “quiet”, simple acts of integrity, kindness, service & humility I have witnessed over the years that have increased my commitment to do the same. They were from my dear friend, mentor, and minister of the Schrader Lane Church of Christ in Nashville TN, David Jones, Jr.
       
     #1 - Once, while helping in the office while our church secretary was on vacation, Bro. Jones asked me to type a letter for him. I eagerly did so, very careful to format the letter correctly as well as the return envelope. While proofreading it, I was stunned! It was to a minister at a large church where he had just conducted a gospel meeting. He said that since he had been able to leverage his rental car’s rewards points, that there was an overage on the per diem they had provided. Enclosed is $22.86. I took him the letter to review. He did so, while writing a PERSONAL check to enclose. I told him that this church would not even expect this from him. He calmly smiled at me and said, “Well, they may not care about this, but God does…”

        #2 - While on a layover in the Amsterdam Airport enroute to Lagos, Nigeria on a mission trip, a lady approached our group. Although she spoke a language we didn’t understand, it sounded as though she was asking where the restrooms were. Amsterdam referred to them as “toliets.” I felt like such a “Christian” as myself and others in our group proceeded to give her directions. Although she looked confused, she nodded a quiet “Thank You,” and began to leave. I have to admit that I felt good about myself having accomplished this task. Bro. Jones sat back and quietly observed this entire scenario. I remember that he smiled, folded his newspaper, rose from his seat, and stopped the confused woman. After a brief exchange, he patiently led her down the long walkway to the restrooms. She smiled at him, shook his hand, and appeared to communicate her gratitude to him. He calmly returned to his seat and his newspaper. We all looked on, mouths-opened, in amazement! I remember saying, “I think I now understand…you are an ordinary man who allows GOD to do extraordinary things through you.” He smiled, shrugged, and went back to his newspaper...

           #3 - While helping in the church office one evening, a man knocked on the window, asking to speak to the minister. Bro. Jones allowed him in. He said that he was hungry and wanted money for a meal. Bro. Jones instructed him to go down the street to the local restaurant, ask for the owner, and tell him that he had sent him. He should be served a meat-and-three meal. Since the man appeared confused as to where the restaurant was, Bro. Jones offered to lead him there in his car. Being very protective of my minister’s well-being, I secretly shadowed them in my 1997 Black Nissan Sentra (not sure what I thought I could do, but I was determined to help.) Bro. Jones led the man into the restaurant, spoke to the owner, and purchased the man’s meal. I could see the man expressing his gratitude. He then calmly returned to his car and left. I sat in my car, hidden in the shadow, stunned at the kindness I had just witnessed...

His Leadership commitment to our members has always been: “I will never ask anyone to work any harder than I am willing to work myself.” (We are all bone-tired & still trying to keep up! J)

He has often stated: “No good thought, word, or deed goes unnoticed by GOD.”

I strive to live by this example of character, service, integrity, and quiet humility every day…

No comments:

Post a Comment