Wednesday, March 26, 2014

”I Can See Clearly Now…”

I Can See Clearly Now is a song written and recorded by Johnny Nash. It was released in 1972, reaching number one on the Billboard Hot 100 List.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Can_See_Clearly_Now

Most of us remember it for its optimistic lyrics.
“I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way.
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind,
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.

I think I can make it now, the pain is gone,
All of the bad feelings have disappeared.
Here is the rainbow I’ve been prayin for,
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.

Look all around, there’s nothing but blue skies.
Look straight ahead, nothing but blue skies.”

For almost every human being, life is about navigating through three stages. Either you are “Entering a Storm”; “In a Storm”; or “Exiting a Storm.” The key is to enjoy the sunshine & the rainbows, particularly before you enter and as you exit.

However, the truly enlightened people learn how to find gratitude, peace, & contentment, even in the midst of life’s storms.

Sometimes, it takes a “storm”, such as health issues, job loss, divorce, death, auto accident, etc., to help you wash away guilt & uncertainty; gain clarity of purpose; & feel grateful & thankful.

I am reminded of the Apostle Paul’s closing appeal of remaining steadfast & united to the saints in Jesus Christ in Philippi. In Philippians 4:4-13 (NIV), he tells them:
To Rejoice:
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.
To Not be Stressed:
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
To be Content:
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
To be Confident:
13 I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.

Personally, I have been in “a storm” for the past year or so, managing an unexpected & devastating (to me) health diagnosis. However, through my faith; supportive family & friends; and an amazing church family; I am beginning to see specks of the rainbow. The “rain has not totally gone”, the “pain has not totally gone”, nor have the “blue skies” totally emerged.

Nevertheless, with my trust in God, I find myself quietly humming:
“It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) Sun-Shiny day…” J

No comments:

Post a Comment