Thursday, March 27, 2014

“Do You Hear Me?”

One of the most valuable skills anyone can learn is Listening

Although it is a simple skill, it is very challenging to master it. What I find amazing is that you don't need a college degree or any certification to learn this skill. You just have to be quiet...stop talking...close your mouth...or in the words of my Great Aunt Susie,"Hursh!" (not Hush J)

Listen is defined as: ”to pay attention to someone or something in order to hear what is being said, sung, played, etc.; to hear what someone has said and understand that it is serious, important, or true; to hear something with thoughtful attention; give consideration.”  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/listen

We are a society that has a lot to say, but does not listen. Oftentimes, we don’t have time or we are too busy.

“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply.” – Stephen Covey

I have experienced profound examples of Listening:
Tennessee State Senator Thelma Harper has the uncanny ability to look intently into your eyes when you are talking to her. She gives you her “undivided attention.” Once I wanted to share some personal, good news with her. However, she was speaking with someone else. As I quietly tried to back away, she grabbed my arm – to acknowledge my presence & to let me know she wanted to talk to me—yet, she still maintained eye-contact with the person she was speaking to. I thought this simple gesture was so awe-inspiring..
Dr. David Jones, Jr., my minister, of approximately 1,400 members, is often bombarded with other members wanting to speak with him after our Sunday School Class and before he preaches the next sermon. Oftentimes, I would just pat him on the back to say “Hello” and try to move on. He has the instinctive ability to respond to you – all the while, honoring the person he is still speaking with. He doesn't interrupt you when you are speaking and pauses to think about what you said before responding. I find this to be very profound...

There are others who I now realize, over the years, to be gifted with the art of listening. I am inspired by them.

People want to be acknowledged, affirmed, and validated.

Oprah Winfrey often says that after interviewing over 30,000 people in the last 25+ years & no matter how famous or rich they were, she has come to realize that all people have one basic need and that is VALIDATION. We all need to have the answers to 3 fundamental questions. They are: “Do You SEE ME? Do You HEAR ME? Does What I say MATTER?”

Other powerful quotes to live by include:
“Speak in such a way that others want to listen to you. Listen in such a way that others want to speak to you.” – unknown
“The word LISTEN has the same letters as the word SILENT.” – Alfred Brendal
“Listen to a person when they look at you, not just when they are talking to you.” – Rachel Wolchin
“The quieter you become the more you can hear.” – unknown

The skill of listening is a very vital one in communicating with the Lord.

The word “listen” is used 146 times in the Bible. (NKJV)  http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=listen&version=NKJV&searchtype=all&startnumber=1
Some verses include:
Deuteronomy 13:18 - because you have listened to the voice of the Lord your God, to keep all His commandments which I command you today,…
Proverbs 19:20 - Listen to counsel and receive instruction, That you may be wise in your latter days.
Isaiah 21:7 – …And he listened earnestly with great care.
Isaiah 28:23 - Give ear and hear my voice, Listen and hear my speech.
Jeremiah 29:12 - Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.
Malachi 3:16 - Then those who feared the Lord spoke to one another, And the Lord listened and heard them…;

As I continue to be awakened, enlightened, and have “light-bulb moments” on this journey we call LIFE, I find that listening and wisdom have a lot in common: 
 “Wisdom has 2 parts: Having a lot to say; Not saying it.” – unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment