Monday, March 17, 2014

“You Got to Know When to Hold ‘Em…”
Most of us know the chorus lyrics to the country song, The Gambler by Kenny Rogers. It is:
“You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run…”
We may want to consider this advice in our professional careers and personal lives.
Professionally:
In my career at a for-profit university as a Regional Advisor, I initially considered it a blessing & a perfect fit for me. I was a telecommuter. I could set my own schedule. I had no one micro-managing me. I could better manage my health challenges. I had earned my MBA and was passionate about helping others reach their educational goals.
I felt it was synonymous to a SOLAR ECLIPSE:  an event that occurs when the Moon blocks the Sun in perfect-alignment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse
However, I began to sense the “eclipse” ending…the moon and the sun slowly pulling away from each other. Several indicators included:
  •  On National & Team Conference calls, the mantra became “Hope is NOT a Strategy.” The Holy Bible uses the word “hope” 133 times. I read in a quote that an acronym of HOPE is ‘Having Only Positive Expectations.” How can this be wrong?
  •  We were informed that we are now to be considered “account executives” (salespeople) and not “advisors.” Although I knew we were a for-profit university, with shares traded on the NYSE, I didn’t want to “sell” education.
  •   The markers of “success” were always changing. It is similar to running a marathon; arriving at the Finish Line; and to be informed that it has been moved 3 more miles away, through the mountains.
  •  The job demands were beginning to get more and more physically-taxing on my health.

I remember praying to the Lord to please “direct my path.”
Within a few months, my entire Regional Accounts Division was eliminated.
Although, I know the quote, “When God closes a door, he always opens a window,” I laughed at myself. I know that GOD really knows me. For me, he needed to “nail the door shut.” And He did…
Eighty positions were available across the nation that we could re-apply for. In my former role, I handled all of Middle Tennessee. The only role that I could consider would require me to be a representative for the ENTIRE States of Tennessee and Arkansas. This was a role in which I knew, in my heart, I could not physically do. I looked up into the sky & smiled,“Lord…you know me well.”
I hold no ill feelings toward my former employer. My MBA has taught me that companies & organizations make business decisions to FULFILL THEIR GOALS, not yours. This decision simply did not include me.
 Personally:
We may need to use this advice when it comes to our relationships & friendships.
“Some people come in your life as blessings. Some come into your life as lessons." - Mother Teresa
If a relationship is not serving you well, helping you grow, or deepening you spiritually, it may be time to either “walk away or run.”
Unfortunately, most of us do not adhere to this advice, willingly.

Remember: If you don’t make a decision, one will get made for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment