Sunday, March 16, 2014

My "CHRISTIAN DUTY"???
Ever since I was baptized at age 11, I recall hearing this often. People would say things like, "We have got to lend them some money. Although they probably won't pay it back, it's our Christian Duty to help."      
As I have matured in age and in my faith, I now question what this actually means.
I failed to find the term “Christian Duty” used anywhere in the Bible.  http://www.biblegateway.com/
“Duty” is defined as “something that is done as part of a job; something that you must do because it is morally right or because the law requires it; obligatory tasks, conduct, service, or functions that arise from one's position (as in life or in a group); a moral or legal obligation.” http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/duty

God gave us free moral will. He doesn’t want us to worship HIM, thank HIM, or obey HIM because we HAVE to. He wants us to do this because we WANT to.
I believe it is our “ecclesiastical way” of thinking we are appointed by GOD to tell others what to do.
I have found when people say this to me, it’s typically just their way of trying to use my Christianity to get me to do what they want me to do, to fulfill their goals…not GOD’s.
And sadly…the worst offenders are other CHRISTIANS.
Not allowing you to take advantage of me is not frowned on by God. Although Jesus was humble, he was not a push-over. And people who thought he was and tried to treat him as such were sadly mistaken.
Matthew 21:12(NKJV) “Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves.”
Who has the moral authority of what is “Christian Duty”?
We all have the DUTY as Christians to be obedient to GOD, love one another and help save the lost.
“Guilt-tripping” someone by saying this to get them to do what you want them to do or saying it yourself as though it's your own personal obligation actually calls YOUR Christianity into question.
The only authority to determine my “duty as a Christian” is GOD.
As I continue on this journey called “Life,” I am learning to focus more diligently on my own Christianity and walk with GOD…

No comments:

Post a Comment