Monday, March 10, 2014

“Because I Remember Who She Is…”
I recall the 2004 movie The Notebook based on the book by Nicholas Sparks. The main characters, Noah & Allie, met in their youth and fell in love. However, a misunderstanding and life’s circumstances separated them. They reconnected several years later and lived a very full life together.
As they entered their senior years, Allie is given a severe diagnosis and now resides in a nursing home. The doctor tells Noah: “Senile dementia is irreversible. It's degenerative. After a certain point, its victims don't come back."
Noah moves in, refusing to leave Allie’s side. He reads to her a journal (The Notebook) that she had written in the past. He is her “memory.” Their adult children try to convince him to leave the nursing home and come home to live with them. They tell him that she does not even recognize them...or him.  He tells them, “Look, guys. That's my sweetheart in there. I'm not leaving her. This is my home now. Your mother is my home."
My paternal grandmother is 97 years “young”. J
Although she also has moderate dementia, she is vibrant, healthy, smiles all of the time, expresses sincere gratitude as if a prayer, and greets everyone she meets with a hug. I hug her, laugh with her, and chat with her as often as I can.
I ALWAYS include her in my personal “greeting card ministry.” I make sure I send her cards, sometimes even flowers, on her birthday, Mother’s Day, and every other holiday occasion.
I am often questioned as to why I continue to send cards to her.
“Why do you keep sending her cards? She doesn’t even remember who you are.”
My response...“Because I Remember Who She Is…”

No comments:

Post a Comment