Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Simple Moments of Gratitude
Gratitude is defined as “a feeling of appreciation or thanks.” http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gratitude
Often, we are so overwhelmed and distracted with our own lives & issues, that we fail to realize that those around us are also experiencing their own.
Although you are in your "storm", and it should be acknowledged, others are managing "hurricanes, tornadoes, & tsunamis."
A few simple moments proved to be profound to me and helped raise my awareness of embracing gratitude.
#1 - While on this new journey of managing health challenges, I had to have a round of Physical Therapy. I noticed an elderly gentleman in the waiting room in a wheelchair. He appeared somewhat aloof and sad. However, as my therapist called me, I hobbled down the corridor with my cane, focused only on me. I felt extremely dejected & sorry-for-myself.
After our session was over, she proceeded to lead me back to the waiting room. During this time, other therapists were working with the wheel-chair-bound gentleman, slowly having him use a walker. My therapist told them, “Please excuse us,” as we maneuvered past them. He stopped us, gave me a wishful smile, and said,“Young lady? My goal is to walk as well as you…”
 #2 - While at another session of therapy, I had valeted my car. My challenges are on my left side, so fortunately, I can still drive. As the attendant was handing me my keys and opening the door for me, I felt the need to apologize that I wasn’t moving quicker. “Please forgive me. This cane is getting in the way.”
He said, “Young Lady?  Do you see that woman over there?” He directed my attention to a lady in a wheel chair, waiting patiently with someone until their vehicle was brought up. When I acknowledged that I saw her, he said, “I bet she wishes she was you…”
This made me reflect on a hymn: "Anyway you bless me Lord, you know I'll be satisfied..."

No comments:

Post a Comment