Friday, March 21, 2014

Life’s “Butt-Spanking”
Being a late Baby-Boomer (born in 1964), I grew up in a time that everyone I knew had received at least one spanking in their lifetime.
It’s called “discipline.”
Discipline is defined as “control that is gained by requiring that rules or orders be obeyed and punishing bad behavior; a way of behaving that shows a willingness to obey rules or orders.” http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discipline
The Bible makes several references about discipline. A few, from the New King James Version, are as follows:
Proverbs 13:24 - He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.
Proverbs 22:15 - Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.
Ephesians 6: 1- 4: Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.” And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.
Proverbs 29:17 - Correct your son, and he will give you rest; Yes, he will give delight to your soul.
Cases in Point:
#1 - I remember in 4th grade, my strict teacher kept reprimanding me for hiking my right foot up in my chair, with my knee bent. Although it wasn’t very lady-like, it was comfortable and convenient, especially for tying my tennis-shoe laces. One day, she quietly walked by me and “wacked” me on the thigh! It stung! I was shocked and surprised. She leaned down & sternly yet quietly stated: “Put that leg down.” Guess What? I NEVER did that again…
#2 - I also remember when one of my sisters went through a “tantrum” phase. We were about 4 years old. Her method was to squat down on the floor and bang her head down on the floor, on her hands & knees. She previously stood & banged her head on the front-glass screen door.
One particular day, she got my 2 year old cousin to join her, as my Mom baby-sat him. [Note: I personally found this behavior very odd!]
I remember we had asked my Mom for popsicles, and she said “No.” My sister storms off from the kitchen to our den and proceeds to throw one of her tantrums. My cousin joins her. My Mom quietly walks past them & gives them both a ”wack” on their bottoms. They both popped up surprised – neither cried. This ended the “tantrum” phase for both of them…
#3 - My Mom was more of the disciplinarian than my Dad. His primary form of discipline was a quiet, stern “look” that would halt you in your tracks. (I would rather have a spanking than see the profound disappointment in his face…)
As adults, my siblings & I love to tease Mom about all of the “spankings” we got. In actuality, there weren’t many. It’s just that the ones we did get were so profound.
I learned early that there had to be “fear” before there was “respect.”
Our friends knew when they “crossed the hedges” into our yard of my parents, they were now under THEIR RULES. I witnessed my Mom disciplining one of my friends; making them stand in front of her while she called their Mom about what had happened; and sending them home. They used to tease us by saying, “Your parents are so strict – Double L’s .” (meaning “square”) I would respond,“Then why do you keep coming to our house?” All of my friends that came to our house adore my parents to this day.
#4 - A dear friend and I reminisced about our very young years in church. He was a rowdy child, and his mother took him out of worship often for discipline. We were discussing this new-age discipline of “time-out.” He laughed and said, “My Mom’s concept of “time-out” was when she took “time out” to catch her breath as she spanked my behind!” J
[NOTE: He is now a respected business owner; worship service song leader; devoted husband-father & grandfather; & loyal friend.]
#5 - How many of you remember the “switch?” This was a thin branch from a tree. If you didn’t have the “switch experience,” then you have definitely missed out. This usually involved you being sent to a tree to get your own switch to be disciplined with. And if it was a skimpy one, you were sent back to get a better one. J
I learned that kids LOVE discipline. Although unpleasant, it means that you love me.
I personally believe that every child should experience a “butt-spanking” at least once in their youth.
Why? Because when life gives you a “butt-spanking,” you will at least recall what one feels like & are not devastated by it.
This may be why the suicide rate, alcoholism, drug use & bad behavior are on the rise. Life dishes out a “butt-spanking”, i.e., rejection, job loss, financial problems, etc., and you don’t know how to process it.
Let’s be clear…Discipline IS NOT Abuse. However, someone needs to love you enough to NOT allow you to be disrespectful; know no boundaries; or understand that we can’t do or say everything & anything we want in life.
It’s ironic…the people who were most strict with me, even spanked my butt when needed,  in my youth…are the people I hold in the highest regard and have the deepest love & respect for as an adult…

No comments:

Post a Comment