Friday, March 28, 2014

“Because You Loved Me…”
We are often reminded of the song sang by Celine Dion in the epic movie Titantic.  Some of the lyrics are:
"You gave me wings and made me fly.
You touched my hand, I could touch the sky.
I lost my faith, you gave it back to me.
You said no star was out of reach.

You stood by me and I stood tall.
I had your love, I had it all.
I'm grateful for each day you gave me.

Maybe, I don't know that much,
But I know this much is true.
I was blessed because,
I was loved by you.

You were my strength when I was weak.
You were my voice when I couldn't speak.
You were my eyes when I couldn't see.
You saw the best there was in me.

Lifted me up when I couldn't reach.
You gave me faith 'cause you believed.
I'm everything I am,
Because you loved me."

As I manage health challenges, I am now more empathetic to the care, kindness, and dignity given to others, especially the elderly.
Many often remain silent about their challenges, feeling guilty for asking for or accepting assistance. They say things like,“I didn’t want to be a bother.”
Insincere "caregivers" make excuses for helping their loved ones or others, such as:
“Well, if I don’t, what would people say?”
“I have to. It’s my Christian Duty.”
“Well, I have to. She is my aunt.” (or daughter, mother-in-law, son, friend)
I now understand why some choose to be put into an Assisted Living Center or a Nursing Home. The employees are TRAINED & PAID to take care of them, uphold their dignity, & maintain confidentiality of their private, daily care.

I know that I personally do for others because I love them. Not because I should or have to. I just feel overwhelmed to encourage, motivate, and be kind to others. I have witnessed others doing kind things to other people. They smile and say that they feel "blessed being able to be a blessing to someone else." 
Luke 6:35 (NKJV) says: “But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. He is kind to the unthankful and evil.”

The future is uncertain for all of us. However, I do make a personal request:
PLEASE...don’t do anything for me because you feel obligated or that it’s your “Christian Duty”, or you are afraid of what people may say if you don’t. Please do for me…
...BECAUSE YOU LOVE ME…


No comments:

Post a Comment