Sunday, February 9, 2014

Your Personal "MINISTRY"...

We often think of ministry as what your minster does on Sunday.

Or we think about activities at our church, i.e., Youth Ministry, Mission Trips, Bible Study, Visiting the Sick, etc.

It is assumed that "ministry" has to be something done collectively, as a group.

Ministry is defined as: the act of serving; one that serves as a means."
http://www.freedictionary.com/ministry

What I have learned about having a personal ministry is that it is something you do "consistently," oftentimes, anonymously...and always with the intent to give to others without expecting anything in return.

Your own personal ministry may just impact one, or maybe just a few people. However, if you can help ONE person...make one person smile...you have done more than money can buy. Being a blessing to others shows GOD he can trust you, and thus, overflow you with many more blessings.

Here are a few examples:
  • My sister has an incredible way she cooks cabbage. She can never cook enough for our family. She has people who love it, and always ask for a portion. She often has to purchase GladWare containers to manage her distribution. We have dubbed it her "Cabbage Ministry."
  • Another sister makes what she calls "Trash Candy." It is a sweet mix of Chex cereal, raisins and nuts. (Actually, I don't know the recipe.) She hands this out annually for Christmas. It is an expectation from everyone at her church. Friends at her work, as well as our friends, and people we all know anxiously await this treat from her each year.
  • A woman at my brother-in-law's former congregation that he ministered is known for her baking of "Chess Squares." This is a brownie-type version of a chess pie. She often gives this incredible dessert to others. It is made by her with joy, and is a mouth-watering delicacy in the area.
  • I personally LOVE sending out cards to remember other's birth dates, anniversaries, congratulations, retirements, those who are sick, those needing encouragement..any reason I can think of to uplift someone else. I typically send out 300+ Christmas cards each year. I have done this for most of my adult life. I figure that most people are used to receiving bills and junk mail. How awesome to receive a card in the mail! (Yes...emails, texts, and Facebook posts are easy and less expensive...but not as personal.) I humbly call it my "Greeting Card Ministry."
  • A gentleman at my church conducts a Bible Study every week for the residents of our Senior Living & Assisted Living Centers. He also created a Newsletter for them. The residents look forward to these. He has been doing this quietly for years.
  • I remember when I was a child my grandmother (now 97 1/2 years young) calling approximately 20 Seniors EVERY DAY to just check on them. She had a list of their names and phone numbers. Most were much younger than her. I learned that the people not only waited on her daily call, she was able to help detect when a few were sick or in need of help. She loved it, and they loved her for it. I realized that this was her ministry.

I know of others who regularly go visit residents at nursing homes; support students here in college from out-of-state; cook meals for others; greet people warmly either as a Doorman or Walmart Greeter...just simple, consistent acts of kindness. Most do not have to cost you any money...but are priceless to the recipient.

"I have learned that people may forget what you SAID, people will forget what you DID, but people will never forget how you made them FEEL." - Maya Angelou.

SO?  What is or what will be your personal "ministry"?




No comments:

Post a Comment