Saturday, February 8, 2014

“What Have You Done for YOU Lately??”

We are familiar with the popular song by Janet Jackson, “What Have You Done For Me Lately?”

However, it’s time to consider what have you done for yourself lately.

I have spent most of my 49 years of life…rapidly approaching 50 in May…focused on being everything to everybody. I wanted desperately to be thought fondly as a “loyal friend, a go-getter, an intelligent person, a thoughtful, caring person, your Go-To-Girl, a no-nonsense, logistical, professional, a tough-skinned negotiator & salesperson, an instant rapport builder, an inspiring leader, and a true confidante“.

I considered myself, in the lyrics of Ashford & Simpson’s song, “Solid…Solid As a Rock.”

I remember many evenings coming home and falling out exhausted on the couch. I asked myself…”Name ONE thing you have done for YOURSELF today?” Sadly, my inner voice whispered, “Absolutely Nothing…”

I was totally focused on my job as a National Project Manager for a non-profit, responsible for coordinating events for 24 of our 48 offices across the US, entailing extensive travel. I was also involved in several community organizations, as well as being available for my family and friends.

I must humbly admit that I was OBSESSED at serving at my church. Plus…my ego kicked in…especially when members would say, “Oh, we have to have Janette do it. We KNOW Janette handles things with EXCELLENCE.” And I do…I refuse to have my name associated with shabby, “Jack-Leg” things. However, this great quality became a negative for me, resulting in me abandoning any semblance of doing anything that was important to me.

I recall once wanting to learn Spanish. My church’s childcare center offered the class for ADULTS…since they taught it as part of the standard curriculum for the children. I signed up, and ended up dropping the class 3 times because others’goals superseded my own.

I was excited and devastated when I got a new job that relocated me to Delaware. I knew I had to seize this opportunity. I didn’t want to look back on my life with regrets if I didn’t go.

I managed to earn my Master of Business Administration while I was in Delaware. I know that I would have NEVER completed it if I was still back home.  Being alone, with no family or friends, no community commitments, a new environment, and no new church home yet, left me with the new job and my MBA program ONLY to focus on.

I remember walking across that stage to receive my MBA. Initially I did not want to participate in commencement. I had already done so for my Bachelor Degree. However, I realized that even that degree was not completely for me.  Being the first (along with my triplet sisters) in my family to go to college, it was for my parents and all four of my grandparents. However, this MBA…was for me!  It is interesting that it is still so hard for me to say "for me." I never really did anything just for myself before.

Although the LORD is #1 in my life, I have to make myself 2nd, or I can be of no value to anyone else. It is difficult, but necessary…especially for someone who has spent her entire life focused on everyone else and their goals & dreams.

So, please ask yourself:  “What Have You Done for YOU Lately??”

And if the answer is like mine, “Absolutely Nothing,” please commit to doing something about it.

Life is too short to end it with regrets…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment