Wednesday, February 5, 2014

“Graffiti on the Temple…”

As I quietly observe people, it appears that one of the hottest trends is to have body markings or tattoos on your body. I may be naive or old fashioned, but this has always seemed odd to me.
A tattoo is a form of body modification, made by inserting indelible ink into the dermis layer of the skin to change the pigment.
Since the 1970s, tattoos have become a mainstream part of Western fashion, common among both sexes, to all economic classes, and to age groups from the later teen years to middle age. For many young Americans, the tattoo has taken on a decidedly different meaning than for previous generations. The tattoo has "undergone dramatic redefinition" and has shifted from a form of deviance to an acceptable form of expression.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo
I recall a time, when I was very young, that tattooing was a practice more common among sailors – and then all branches of the military.
My earliest exposure to tattoos was of “ship anchors” on the forearms of the popular cartoon character, “Popeye the Sailor Man.”
While in High School, this began trending among athletes…typically with only one tattoo.  Very few women had them. It was viewed very negatively – as a woman who was “fast and loose.”
Then, the trend exploded in popularity in the 1990’s:  as a form of rebellion; of self-expression: or just to be different and unique.
Every time I think of tattoos on my physical body, I am reminded of this bible scripture:
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - New King James Version (NKJV)
19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.

A “temple” is defined as: a building for religious practice; a place devoted to a special purpose.   http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/temple
If GOD created me and considers my body to be “a temple,” why would I want to desecrate it?  I have the image of someone spewing paint or “graffiti” on a very holy place.

Fast Forward…in 2014…SO many people have tattoos, that it is not considered special anymore.
Actually…because I do not have tattoos…I am now considered “unique.” 

I have never needed something to “define” myself. I AM A CHILD OF GOD. That is the highest distinction we can all have. I have not had the desire to do what everyone else was doing, nor felt “pressured” to follow the latest trends simply because the world determined it to be “cool.”
GOD already knows who you are. HE created you.
Marking up your body is not going to tell the world who you are.
Your THOUGHTS, WORDS, and ACTIONS will…


No comments:

Post a Comment