Wednesday, February 26, 2014

  “So Emotional…”

   The song “So Emotional” was a #1 hit by the great, late Whitney Houston.
   Some of the lyrics are:
   I get so emotional baby
   Every time I think of you
   I get so emotional baby
   Ain't it shocking what love can do
   
   Although this song is about relationships, it impacts me at a more personal
   level. After doing continuous self-assessment, I have come to the realization
   that I am an "emotional being.”
   I remember, as a child, often being described as:
  •     “too emotional,”
  •     “wearing my heart on my sleeve,”
  •     “having feelings that are too easily hurt,”
  •     “taking things too personally.”         
        I spent many years trying NOT to be these things.
        To be otherwise would make me too weak...too vulnerable. 
        I had to maintain my thick skin,be tough, and be strong.
   It finally dawned on me that I was denying my Authentic Self
   I am the woman that God uniquely created ME to be.
   The key is for me to accept and appreciate this about myself.
   However, I must learn to be more protective of myself and these
   wonderful qualities from circumstances or people who do not appreciate
   them or try to take advantage of me because of them.
   Unfortunately, many major decisions I have made emotionally, up to this point
   in my life, have not necessarily been the wisest ones. The saying Hindsight
   is 20/20 is truly relevant for me. I can now see how with a more pragmatic
   – less emotional head, better decisions could have been enjoyed.

   Being someone who is “so emotional,” there are a few best practices that
   I must incorporate:
Ø I have to work on deliberately pausing to process every thought, word, or deed from myself or others.
Ø I must be careful not to jump to conclusions or make hasty emotional decisions.
Ø I must adhere to James 1:19 (NKJV): “So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath;”
Ø I must be diligent in not making emotional, irrational decisions that could have long-term or even permanent consequences.
Ø I must surround myself with people who love & respect this quality about me, as I love & respect this quality about others.
Ø I must remember that the best decisions are spiritual decisions – What Would Jesus Do? Is God pleased with me?

   What Can I Say? I am “so emotional"…and I don’t apologize for it…

No comments:

Post a Comment