Wednesday, February 19, 2014

“Heavenly-Minded or Earthly-Good?”

I remember when I was with my first company, straight out of college. I had entered Sales and had been quite successful over the years.

One year, my company decided to renovate our cubicles. We were to work from home for a few weeks. This was great!  I pulled my car to the front of the building and made numerous trips with boxes.

It was on a Wednesday. I was diligent about packing up my office. I figured I could finish by 5:00 p.m., make it home, unpack, freshen up, and make it across town to Bible Study by 7:00 p.m.

On my initial trip to my car, I noticed a young lady sitting in the lobby. It appeared as though she was off-work, waiting for someone. She appeared anxious. Although I DID see her, I was busy at the task at hand.

(Note: My personality is one in which I tend to “know everyone.”) Each trip, I chatted and laughed with everyone from other colleagues and managers to the Security staff. 

Each trip, I noticed her…watching me. I felt a little pride to display that I knew a lot of employees.

I was completing my final trip to my car. I was so proud of myself! I was right on schedule. As I was telling the Security Staff good-bye, the young lady approached me. She said,“Excuse me. I work in the Call Center. I see that you are leaving. May I ask you for a favor?” I always liked to believe that I was the Ultimate Problem-Solver.  I replied. “Sure!” 

She humbly asked, almost whispered,“Would it be possible for you to give me a ride home?” I was shocked! She continued,“My family just relocated here a few months ago. My brother was supposed to pick me up, but he called. He has been in a minor car accident. He has our only car. I’m not sure when he can make it here.” I asked, “What time did you get off work?” She said, “2:30 p.m.” Wow! She had been waiting for 2 ½ hours! Ugh!!  She is going to make me late for BIBLE STUDY!!!

I finally agreed to take her home. I made sure that Security saw her leaving with me. (In my mind, I am still thinking, “I can still keep my schedule and make it to CHURCH.”) I asked her where she lived. She said, “Franklin, TN. Off of Mack Hatcher Parkway.” (Quietly, I scream, “Are you kidding me?!!” Traffic is a nightmare in that direction this time of day! It was the opposite direction from where I lived!)   

When we got in the car, I secretly put a pair of scissors under my driver’s seat for protection. She initially appeared guarded and shy, sitting very close to the passenger door. However, while driving on the interstate, she became more relaxed and began talking. She said,“I have never asked anyone for a ride before. I thought you may be an Ax Murderer or a Serial Killer. But, you seemed so nice…like you knew everybody. And I figured, if Security knew you, you were probably safe.”

After about 1 hour of rush-hour-traffic, I pulled up in front of her home. Her Mom was ecstatic! She looked up at the sky, offering her thanks for answered prayers and waved to me with sincere gratitude. The young lady was smiling and so thankful. I humbly gave her my business card and said, “I work up on the 3rd floor in Sales. If you ever need a ride or anything, please give me a call.”

I made it home at 7:25 p.m. Yes…I was too late to make it across town to Bible Study.

What a profound lesson! I was so busy trying to "get to Bible Study", that I almost missed the opportunity to put my learning into action.

Be careful of being so “Heavenly-Minded” that you are of no “Earthly-Good”

No comments:

Post a Comment