Thursday, February 6, 2014

“The Way We Were…”

Most of us remember that iconic movie with Robert Redford and Barbra Streisand in 1973 called “The Way We Were…”
Barbara Streisand even sang the soundtrack of the movie. Some of the lyrics are:
Mmm. Mmm.
Memories, light the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories of the way we were.
Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind
smiles we give to one another
for the way we were.
Can it be that it was all so simple then
or has time rewritten every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
tell me would we? Could we?
Memories, may be beautiful and yet
what's too painful to remember
we simply choose to forget
So it's the laughter we will remember
whenever we remember
the way we were.
Barbara Streisand - The Way We Were Lyrics | MetroLyrics

 As I reflect on this song, I think about everyone I have ever met in my life. Many were blessings…some were lessons.
To celebrate its 10th Anniversary, Facebook allowed an option called "A Look Back.” It constructed a 1-minute video of you, based on your history with Facebook. As I watched many of these, I realized that a lot of feelings I had of most of my family and friends were of “The Way We Were…”
Time passes…we change…whether in age, perspective, goals, or health.  We often set ourselves up for disappointment when we judge people by how they WERE instead of how they ARE now.
We don’t expect anyone or anything else to change…all the while we are changing every day.
So…how do I reconcile this?
I chose to be thankful for what great things & qualities are still the same…feel blessed for experiencing what was in the past…and understand that they may never be again…
Memories…

No comments:

Post a Comment