Thursday, February 20, 2014

“Power of the Human Touch…”

I was reminded of this while recently attending a funeral.

I was in the restroom. While waiting on my aunt, I sat in the waiting area in a comfortable lounge chair. 

Suddenly a very young mother came in looking frantically around with a young girl in her arms. I would estimate her age to be about 10-months-old. The baby girl was dressed beautifully, in a silky, pink, taffeta dress, with hair bows to match. The mother appeared to be looking for a changing station.

Since I was a member of this church, I told her, “There is no official changing station in this restroom. You might want to change her on the make-up station in front of us.”  She quickly said, “Oh...Ok.”  

Before I could say anything further, she began taking off her coat. She then asked, “Could you hold her for me?” 

I gasped!  Since I do not have children, this is not something I do on a regular basis.

Before I could close my mouth…she abruptly plopped the baby girl into my lap! The baby looked at me, then back at her mother. Her reaction reminded me of a line from the movie, The Color Purple: “Harpo? Who dis woman?”

I recovered quickly, held the child securely, and looked into her innocent eyes. The depth of those young eyes were so authentic...so pure...they melted my heart. I felt as though she was staring at my soul...

The young mother, appearing to feel reassured her daughter was in safe hands, went about her task of preparing to change her daughter. I bounced the baby on my lap, and smiled at her. I said, “You are so pretty!” The baby smiled, and continued to intensely watch me.

Within a few minutes, the young mother told me “Thank You,” and took the child from my arms. The child continued to look at me over her mother’s shoulder, as I left.

This simple interaction reminded me of how powerful our touch can be to someone.

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." - Leo Buscaglia

We should NEVER take something so profound, yet so simple,  for granted…

No comments:

Post a Comment