Monday, February 3, 2014

“Why People Don’t Go to Visit Nursing Homes…”

My Mom once told me that she was appalled that people didn’t go visit their loved ones in Nursing Homes. She was saddened to see so many people there alone, with no one coming by to see them. She and Daddy observe this monthly, as they and other church members go to sing & fellowship with the residents at several facilities.

I once was, too. I mean…how can people NOT go visit and check on their loved ones?

Now…as I manage my own health challenges, I have been “stilled” long enough to finally realize why.

People don’t want to visit nursing homes…because they don’t want to face their own MORTALITY.

They don’t want to face the fact that 20 – 30 – 40 or even 50 years from now, this is a probable reality.

I actually experienced this, somewhat.
About 3 years ago, I had the opportunity to relocate with my job anywhere I wanted on the East Coast of the US. I decided to come back home to Middle Tennessee because my parents were getting older. I felt I should be home-based closer to them, even though I traveled a lot. Hey...I am 48 years old, healthy, vibrant, active.

As soon as I got relocated, I got hit with my first major health challenge of my life. I had to be hospitalized for 3 days for extensive tests (again, a first for me.)

I cannot tell you how humbling it is to have your 79-year-old father & 74-year-old mother, extremely healthy…looking at YOU...while you look at them... from a hospital bed. 

It finally dawned on me...

I was so focused on their mortality…that honestly…I never even considered my own. The possibility that they could outlive me NEVER occurred to me.

A Very Humbling Revelation….

No comments:

Post a Comment