Monday, February 17, 2014

“Thrill of Victory - Agony of Defeat”

Many of us remember hearing this phrase during the Olympics:
“The Thrill of Victory…The Agony of Defeat…”
 I am becoming deeply concerned that we are becoming a nation teaching our children that “there are no losers.”
Guess What?  Yes, There Are!
 I saw a Facebook post of a parent boasting of their child’s “4th Place Finish” in a competition.  Unfortunately, this world does not reward effort or intention. It only rewards WINNERS.
As parents and supporters, it is appropriate to encourage kids for their efforts. But, we must help them understand that, with more focus, practice & effort, they can eventually WIN.
If we continue to reward “less than excellence,” we are crippling others to be competitive in the “real world.” Allowing your children to believe that “everyone is a winner” is setting them up for devastation in life.
 When I was growing up, (I was born in 1964 – the end of the Baby Boomer era), I was a “tomboy” at heart. I was, and am still competitive.
I participated in softball and basketball, as well as competed in 4-H.
In every competition, there was that coveted “1st Place Prize.”  There were WINNERS and LOSERS.
Even in the work place, I remember in my early career in Sales winning “Top Sales Person of the Month.” I was awarded a nice bonus and got to park in a reserved parking space for the month. Guess What? There were no bonuses or reserved parking spaces for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place.
I am intrigued when I watch the Kentucky Derby. The coveted horse may win “by a nose.” That fraction of a second is the difference between winning $1 million dollars & in the Winner’s Circle and not being heard of again.
I have watched the Golden Globe's, the VMAs, and the Emmy Awards.  In each category, although there were several nominees, they had (1) Winner. Afterward, the Press was not flocking after the nominees – only the Winners.
Case in Point:
This is evident in watching the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.  The USA has struggled in the Medal count. Specifically, I watched the Snowboarding Competition. USA’s Shaun White, assured to be a Gold Medalist or at least a Medal contender – came in 4th Place! And guess what?  HE LOST! No Gold-Silver or Bronze Medal. No standing up on the podium.
However, I was warmed by his genuine humility. He warmly congratulated the Gold Medal Winner. When interviewed, he simply stated, “I just didn’t have my best day today.”  We must teach our children to be humble in both victory and defeat.
“You don’t truly appreciate the THRILL OF VICTORY if you have not suffered the AGONY OF DEFEAT.”
I grew up proud that the United States of America was #1 in the world (for apparently everything.)  We were considered a “Super Power.”
That status seems to be eroding. While we, as Americans, have our noses up in the air arrogantly and with greed, other countries are quietly and deliberately “getting it done.”  Yes…their methods may seem extreme to us, but the results are without question.
I know personally, I am thankful for the “Agony of Defeat.” This has made me reassess; make corrections; and keep striving. This has helped me truly enjoy and savor in the “Thrill of Victory.”
There is no such thing as “everyone is a winner.” There is only (1).

I plan on it being me J

No comments:

Post a Comment