Sunday, May 4, 2014

We Are Not Who We Really Are…
“We are not who we really are;
We are not who others think we are;
We are what we think others think we are.”
Michael Mendizza writes in his article titled Mistaken Identity: We Are Not What We Think We Are, “We are not what we think we are, of that I am sure. And yet, what we think we are shapes our behavior, the quality of our relationships, our values, feelings of right and wrong, justice, and compassion. The key to personal and social transformation, which as we will see, are the same thing, is ‘identity.’” http://www.kindredcommunity.com/2012/02/mistaken-identity-we-are-not-what-we-think-we-are/
We strive to adhere to Shakespeare’s advice of “To Thine Own Self Be True.”
For most of my life, this has been a far-away concept.
Born as late Baby Boomers (1946-1964), we were encouraged to make our parents proud; live for our children; stay loyal to our employer until we retired; and take care of everyone else. Many of us have now bypassed the retirement age by turning 68. Many of us are now becoming 50 years old.
We often half-jokingly – half-longingly ask, “Now, what do I want to be when I grow up?” This was a question we were asked in Kindergarten, at 6 years of age.
We have lived our lives to everyone else’s expectations so fully that we have completely lost sight of what we wanted to have, do, or be.
It is beneficial for us to define ourselves by God:
Genesis 1:27 (NKJV): "So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."
1 Corinthians 15:10 (NKJV): “10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.”
1 Corinthians 6:19 (NKJV): “19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? "
Where is the Authentic YOU?
Maybe it is time to ask the question, "God, what did you create me to do…to have…to be…?” It is time for us to pray (asking the question) and to be quiet & meditate (so we can hear the answer.)


No comments:

Post a Comment