Wednesday, May 7, 2014

“On Your Door Step…”
Robin Robert, anchor of ABC’s Good Morning America & cancer survivor just published a book inspired by her mother’s wisdom called Everybody’s Got Something.
It basically highlights the fact that EVERY single one of us is dealing with something. And if you are not, in the wise words of my mentor: “Just Keep Living…”
I have learned that nothing in life really affects you deeply or is something that you have empathy for until it impacts you.
Cases In Point:
#1 - I know individuals that often feel overwhelmed being a caregiver. They often perceive that their life is burdened & compromised. They often feel as though they are the only person in this world doing this.
However, AARP reported that in 2009, 29 percent of the U.S. adult population, or 65.7 million people, are caregivers, including 31 percent of all households. http://www.aarp.org/relationships/caregiving/info-12-2009/caregiving_09.html  Four in 10 U.S. adults are now caring for a sick or elderly family member as more people develop chronic illnesses and the population ages, a new study has found. Researchers, which found that the number of caregivers increased 10 percent between 2010 and 2013…  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/20/caregivers-adults-care-for-elderly-relatives-sandwich-generation_n_3469779.html
So...you are not alone...

#2 - My Dad had a heart attack when he was 67 years old. He is now a vibrant, healthier 79 year old. He had never been sick before, so this was a shock to our family. We had not had anyone in our immediate family that we were aware of who had heart problems. It appeared that heart issues were everywhere! Even his cardiologist said he has had stents inserted into vessels in his own heart! I began hearing of heart attacks occurring all on the news. We now know of many people who had heart issues and had gone through rehab. Amazing!!
#3 - I was diagnosed in 2012 with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. For someone who was healthy, vibrant and active, this was devastating. I had heard of others having it. I even walked in an MS Walk supporting the cause many years ago. I was such a "health fanatic" that this could never happen to me...or so I thought. I asked the typical question that people ask when informed of a major health diagnosis: “Why me?” Then my faith kicked in and asked me a follow-up question: “Why not me?”
Approximately 2.5 million people worldwide are managing this diagnosis every day. http://www.statisticbrain.com/multiple-sclerosis-statistics/
Why do I feel I deserve an exemption from any of life’s trials, yet still call myself a Christian? The two do not reconcile.
The Bible often tells us that this Christian journey will not be one free of infirmities:
2 Corinthians 12:7-10 (NKJV), When Paul asked to have his “thorn in the flesh” healed:  7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 4:16-17 (NKJV): 16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,
 2 Corinthians 12:10 (NKJV): Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
John 11:4 (NKJV): When Jesus heard that, He said, “This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”
I continue to be humbled by this health challenge, as well as this journey we are all on called “Life.”
The biggest “Ah-Ha” Moment I have had thus far is:
Things don’t ever resonate with you or even catch your attention…until they land on your door step…

No comments:

Post a Comment