Thursday, May 15, 2014

“I Honor Your Wishes…”
I had recently advised a friend whose girlfriend had told him that she was seeking “someone better than him,” and ended their relationship. He was heartbroken. She had typically done this in the past…she would dump him and he would beg his way back. This became their routine for most of their 7-year relationship. This time…he decided to stop chasing…
“When people walk away from you, let them go. You shouldn’t have to talk them into staying with you, loving you, calling you, caring about you, and coming to see you, if they really cared about you in the first place.”
As she was expecting the regular “allowing him to beg her back” routine, she suddenly noticed that he no longer was. He respectfully told her, “You said that you wanted to find someone better. I am just honoring your wishes.” With every attempt she continued to make to get him back, he just continued repeating his mantra, “I am honoring your wishes.” Although breaking the habit of chasing after her was difficult, it revealed new friends, opportunities, and relationships that he had never noticed before.
I recently found myself in need of my own advice:
Recently, I experienced the heartbreak of someone, who I believed to be a close friend, simply exiting the friendship. No rhyme or reason. One day I am helping them toward their goal and the very next…no phone calls, when a few days ago, they averaged 3-5 per day. (I opened up months ago to let them know about my devastating health diagnosis. In the past, they appeared to be encouraging & supportive.) No response to my persistent phone calls or text messages. Initially, I was concerned. I was worried that something may be wrong…that they may be ill. I have spent the past few days…grieving. What happened? If I made a mistake, please tell me. I can’t ask forgiveness for something I am unaware of. After three days, I receive a text message that simply says,“I am very busy! It is time for ME to look out for ME.”  Wow…
Then…it finally sunk in…
I had made them a priority and they had reduced me to an option…again. They had done this in the past, but I ignored it as their being “moody” or “pouting.” In the past, I pursued them until they came back.
The Bible even discusses the need to move on in Matthew 10:14 (NKJV): “And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.”
I must take my own advice and “honor their wishes.”
It is critical to reflect on these reminders:
“When people walk away from you, let them go. Your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you, and it doesn’t mean they are bad people. It just means that their part in your story is over.” – Bishop T.D. Jakes
“God often removes people from your life for a reason. Think before you chase after them.”
“If you have to keep wondering where you stand with someone, it may be time to stop standing, and start walking.”
“Some people are not meant to be in your life forever. Some are just passing through to teach us a lesson.”
“Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you.”
“As we grow up, we think we lose our friends, But the truth is, we don’t lose friends…We just find out who the real ones are…”
In life, when people walk out of your life, if you respect them & yourself, you will: “HONOR THEIR WISHES.”

No comments:

Post a Comment