Monday, May 12, 2014

“Not GETTING What You Didn’t GIVE”
Oftentimes, I hear responses from disappointed, frustrated, or even angry people such as:
“You were supposed to call me.”
“Why didn’t you come by to check on me when I was sick?”
“You walked past and didn’t speak to me.”
“I don’t have time to call or send cards.”
I am perplexed when I see or hear of people lining up to receive an expected inheritance from someone they never visited, called, or showed any compassion to when the person was alive.
I am often told that I am “Too Sentimental.” Another description is that I am one who is “Sentimentally-Obsessed.” These would be accurate statements.
This was influenced by a very harsh, eye-opening experience:
I had begun my professional work career directly out of college in 1987. I was an Account Executive in Sales. Although my Sales Team was a very social group, I didn’t attended co-workers’ events. I avoided Baby Showers, Wedding Showers, Weddings, After-Work Gatherings, & Funerals. I rarely expressed gratitude, congratulations, or condolences to anyone. My life was “All About Me.”
In 1989, my brother was tragically killed in an auto accident. I was only 25 years old. This was devastating to me, because this was the first time in my life that I experienced death so up-close-and-personal.
I estimated over 1,000 people in attendance at the funeral. All of my siblings and my parents had co-workers in attendance. Many had driven in up to 5 hours away to support my family. However, NO ONE from my company attended. Not one of my co-workers was there for me. I did not receive any expressions of sympathy from them on that day. Interesting…I did receive a beautiful Hyacinth floral arrangement from my VP. (I was told that he was a horrible person and to avoid him. I had done so.)
I uncontrollably wept. Others thought it was all from grief. However, when someone casually asked me, “Were any of your XYZ Company employees here?” the tears flowed again. How could they not come & support me at such a heart-breaking time?
Then reality sit in…I was upset about “not getting what I didn’t give.”
The Bible mentions this in Luke 6:31 (NKJV): “And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise.”
Empathy flooded my spirit. I vowed to myself that I would make it my life mission to help prevent anyone from feeling the anguish, loneliness, & unconcern that I felt.
Thus began my own Personal Greeting Card Ministry. I established a reputation as the “Go-To Girl” throughout my career when it came to celebrating co-workers’ birthdays & anniversaries. I kept track of everyone’s important dates and pleasantly influenced others to spread kindness.
Facebook is a blessing to me because it allows me to extend my out-reach of kindness, empathy, encouragement, faith, and love.
Powerful Ouotes:
“Be a reflection of what you’d like to see in others. If you want love, give love. If you want honesty, give honesty. If you want respect, give respect. You get in return, what you give.” – unknown
“Your Beliefs don’t make you a better person, your Behavior does.” – unknown
“The way you treat people says a lot about who you are. Be careful. Your actions are screaming over your words.” -  Thema Davis
“Life is an echo. What you send out – comes back. What you reap – you sow. What you give – you get. What you see in others – exists in you.” – unknown
Lesson Learned: “Don’t be upset for Not Getting what You Didn’t Give.”

No comments:

Post a Comment