Saturday, April 19, 2014

“You Hurt My Feelings…”

I have often heard this stated. Even used it myself at times. However, I always wondered exactly what did it mean.
Case in Point:
I was doing a favor for someone and made, what I thought, was a harmless joke. Boy, did I get thrashed!  I was stunned…into silence.
I was devastated…as though someone had just thrown cold water into my face.  I didn’t mean to provoke such wrath.
Since I am an “emotional being,” and, at the time - super-sensitive, I was at a loss for words as to how to define my emotions. (Was I being hurtful to someone else? If so, it was totally unintentional! How could I be so wrong?)
I guess it is easy to describe them as “hurt feelings.” However, I am trying to dig deeper than this. What am I really feeling?
All I do know is that when the favor was completed, I mechanically went forth completing tasks, i.e., filling up my car with gas, going into my local Walgreens. However, I know I was dealing with things emotionally, because I found myself going through a McDonald’s Drive-Through (something I rarely do…which let me know that I was “emotionally-eating.”)  I came home and ate what I didn’t enjoy. I guess my body decided it needed to recalibrate, because I fell out unconscious for a few hours.
I woke up…less emotional – more logical. My rational mind began explaining to me that every attack on you is not about you.  You just accidentally stepped on a land mine.
We must practice more “emotion-strengthening” exercises. We are too blessed to allow hurtful words & actions; intentional ignoring and disrespect; or flagrant attacks of your character to distract you from being who GOD made you to be. We must learn the art of patience, calm, restraint, and silence. James 1:19 (NKJV) says: “So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath;”
Moral of the story: When “perceived” or actual attacks are made at you, “hurting your feelings,” you must Pause, Process it for what it is, lick your wounds, pray, and keep moving…
“Don’t worry about Hurting My Feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self-esteem is tied up in your acceptance.” – Dr. Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment