Saturday, April 26, 2014

“You Don’t Win Alone…”
When Earvin “Magic” Johnson was with the Los Angeles Lakers NBA Basketball team (1979 – 1991), he was electrifying.
In my opinion, he will go down in NBA history as the “Best Overall Basketball Player in NBA History.”
Johnson was honored as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996, and enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002 for his individual career, and again in 2010 as a member of the "Dream Team".
Throughout the 1980’s era, the Lakers won (5) NBA Championships. People would debate me by saying that Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls was the Best Player in the NBA.
I would counter with “Yes…he may have scored 50 points in a game…but he has no NBA Championship Ring!”
Magic Johnson INSISTED on excellence from the other players on the court and on the bench. He studied them all, knew their strengths, and forced them to rise to them. Although Magic Johnson is noted as the NBA All Time Leader in Average Assists per game, he often accomplished many “triple-doubles” (10+ points – 10+ steals – 10+ assists). However, every other player on the court would have double-digit points as well. He learned that basketball is a TEAM Sport. It cannot be won “individually.” I always said,“When Michael Jordan figures this out, this is when the Chicago Bulls will win.” And they finally did…
I also remember a business example of this concept. I had a colleague that was behind in making her Sales Quota. In the middle of the month, her husband had a heart attack, they were struggling financially, and she felt at the brink of a total meltdown. She asked me to oversee her accounts while she was out of the office.
I felt so passionate about helping her succeed, that by the time she came back, I had helped her reach 101% of quota. This qualified her for the President’s Club and a $3,000 bonus. However, in the midst of taking care of her goals, I neglected my own. I came in at 99.2%. This small shortfall resulted in me losing out on reaching the goal. I consoled myself by saying, “Well, at least this will help her family.”
During the Awards Presentation, she marched up proudly on stage to accept her award. Afterward, I humbly went up to her and said, “Congratulations. I am glad that this can provide some assistance to you.” She boldly proclaimed, “What can I say? I am GOOD!”  Everyone in earshot paused in disbelief. They all knew how tirelessly I had worked to help her, even at my own loss. I just calmly smiled at her and eased away. I was amazed at how quickly we forget when others help us. Amazing, when we believe we won all by ourselves. I gained assurance from Luke 6:35 (NKJV): “But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil.”
Unfortunately, this proved to be a huge lesson for her. About two months later, she was let go…due to lack of productivity. And I made the President's Club 5 years consecutively.

Bottom-line: No one wins by themselves. People may compete in the Olympics to graduating High School or College to having a successful career. Without the help of dedicated supporters, loving encouragers, & consistent “Prayer Warriors” along the way, success would not have been possible. If you win, it’s a blessing. If you lose, it’s a lesson.

YOU DON’T WIN ALONG…once we all realize this and practice more gratitude, the world will begin springing forth more peace, love, and kindness. We will be renewed & revived… 

No comments:

Post a Comment