Monday, April 21, 2014

The Most Lethal Weapon
As children, most of us were taught this rhyme:
“Sticks and stones may break my bones;
But words will never hurt me.”
Unfortunately, this is not true.
The Bible even confirms this in James 3:5 (TLB): “So also the tongue is a small thing, but what enormous damage it can do…”
 Although I am thankful for the “thick skin” I have acquired over the years, words still hurt. I have forgiven myself…for words I may have said, and for words said to me. Although I have forgiven, and the wounds have healed, the scars still remain.
Probably the most damaging words that have ever been spoken to me were from someone I idolized as a superior entrepreneur and a dear friend. As we were ending an unsuccessful business alliance, his words still cut me like a knife:
“I owe you an apology. I am sorry I believed you were competent.
 I am sorry I believed in you.”
These words were told to me over 16 years ago. Although I received an emailed apology years afterward, and the wounds have scabbed over, the memory of the pain, still remains…dulled, but still there…
 “The tongue has no bones, but is strong enough to break a heart. So be careful with your words.” - unknown
“Be careful what you say. You can say something hurtful in ten seconds, but ten years later, the wounds are still there.” – Joel Osteen
 How should we harness in this powerful weapon?
 One of my favorite songs is by Take 6 called Let The Words. It is very simple. It says”
“Let the words of my mouth, bring you praise;
May the words that I speak be seasoned with your love & grace.
May the things, oh Lord, that I choose to say,
Bring glory, not shame to your name each day.
Let the words of my mouth bring you praise.”
The Bible gives a few suggestions:
Proverbs 15:1(NKJV): “A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.”
Ephesians 4:29 (NKJV): “Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.”
Colossians 4:6 (NKJV): “Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.
Psalm 34:13 (NKJV): “Keep your tongue from evil, And your lips from speaking deceit.
Final Wisdom to Consider:
 “Before you say something, stop and think how you would feel if someone said it to you.” – unknown
 Sometimes, harsh words remind you of the most important things in life. We are reminded that what man thinks about you is unimportant. Resting in the “blessed assurance” and faith that GOD LOVES YOU & BELIEVES in you is the most important thing of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment