Friday, April 18, 2014

“Life With No Regrets”
I had a dream once of being 80 years old, sitting on my front porch. Approaching me are my children, grand-children, and great-grand-children.
They young ones are huddling around me. One asks, “Granny Janette? Tell us about your life…”
How do I answer it?
Scenario 1: 
“Well, I stayed in my small home town. My faith is weak, so I didn’t really go to church or pray to God. I was somewhat nervous about going too far, so I never really traveled. I didn’t even get my Driver’s License, nor bought a car. I was afraid of relationships, so I have no friends. I was offered opportunities to try new things, but I was afraid of messing up, so I never tried. I retired from my job after 30 years...one in which I did not enjoy. I married your Grandfather 50 years ago...I love him, but don't really like him. I didn’t trust new food recipes, so I primarily eat the same things. I didn’t play any sports or games. I don’t get on Social Media, so I am not in touch with anyone. I don’t listen to the radio nor watch much TV. I rarely speak to anyone on the phone nor visit anyone. I basically sit here and watch my neighbors’ lives. That’s about it.”
One responded: “Wow, Granny…that seems like a sad, boring life!”
Or it could be…
Scenario 2:
My great-grand-children go up on the porch to see my husband alone. They ask, “Grandpa, where is Granny?”  He smiles and responds, “Your Granny will be here in a few minutes from running in that 5K race she always runs in.” I approach, with a winning medal around my neck!
“Granny!” they yell. I hug them, and then, kiss my husband passionately on the lips, hold his hand, and sit beside him on the porch swing. The great-grandkids all yell, “Eww…Yuck…Gross!” (I laugh & wink at my adult children & grandchildren.) J
They ask me, “Granny Janette, tell us about your life…”
“Well…I married your Grandpa here, right after I completed college, medical school, and my residency at age 30. We have been married for 50 years. GOD has always been the foundation of our marriage. Our favorite scripture is Psalm 37:4 (NKJV): “Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.” And, boy, has He done this!
I fulfilled my dream of being a Doctor. He fulfilled his dream of being a Commercial Airline Pilot. We have traveled the world. We had your parents, tried & failed at many things, but enjoyed ourselves anyway. We have gone bungee-jumping, sky-diving, skiing, white-water-rafting, and deep-sea fishing. We have gone on 5 cruises, been to Hawaii, seen the Grand Canyon, & been to New York City. I have walked in the sand around the Atlantic & Pacific Oceans and have gone on a mission trip to Nigeria West Africa. I tried modeling, public speaking, & acting. We love sushi & spicy Mexican food. We have friends around the world. I am an addict on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, & Instagram. I am on Level 300 of Candy Crush Saga, a “Scandalholic,” and we were extras in Pharrell Williams video for his mega-hit song ‘Happy.’ And we are just getting started!! “
The kids all scream with laughter & glee. “Wow…Granny…we want to be like you!”
What do you want to tell others about your life?
Do you want to tell them that you had no faith in the Lord and was too afraid to live it?
Or that with God’s Grace, you had a blast…and are still enjoying it! J
You decide…

1 comment:

  1. With God’s Grace, I had a blast…and I am still enjoying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete