Sunday, April 6, 2014

“Life Doesn’t Skip a Heartbeat…”

I recall when my older brother was killed in a car accident 25 years ago. I was only 25 years old. He was only 32 years old. I had just seen him, talked to him, and laughed with him on Easter Sunday, a week ago. He was vibrant, and healthy, and loving. Although he made a few unwise life choices (haven't we all?), he was a deeply loved son, brother, husband, father, grandson, nephew, cousin, and loyal friend. And now…suddenly…he was gone.

I was devastated. I had never dealt with death & loss this close…at the heart of our family. My siblings’ and my only focus was to shield Mama & Daddy so they could grieve. I would grieve later.

We were overwhelmed with people offering condolences. I logistically helped handle things. I felt somewhat numb and in utter disbelief. I remember my Mom asking me to go to the grocery store for ice & bread. With all of the vehicles in our drive-way, mine was most accessible.“Whatever she wants,” I said to myself.

The 5-minute drive to the grocery store seemed like a 10-hour drive for me…one of heartache, and longing, and loss…

As I got out of my car, I stopped...shocked! People were fueling up their cars, laughing, appearing to be having fun.

Internally, I was screaming, “What are you doing? Don’t you know my brother just died??!!!”

Then…reality set in. Yes…life had come to a temporary stand-still for my family. But Life Did Not Skip One Heartbeat… It proceeded right on for the rest of the world. It was a very humbling moment for me…

The most we can hope for is to live our lives in such a way that its effects are felt generations later. This is called “Leaving a Legacy.”

Our existence on this earth is so brief and can be gone in an instant. James 4:14(NKJV) states:“whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.”

How many lives have you positively affected because of your existence? How many children have you inspired? Has your presence on this earth made a difference to anyone?

Important Quotes to Note:
  • “You may be only one person in this world, but to one person, you are the world.” – unknown
  • “Live your life the way you want to be remembered.” – unknown
  • “At the end of our life, what matters most is not what we bought but what we built; not what we got but what we shared; not our competence but our character; and not our success but our significance. Live a life that matters. Live a life of love.” - unknown
  • “Make your life matter. Be of use. Serve as many people as possible. This is how each of us can shift from the ordinary to the extraordinary and walk amongst the best who ever lived.” - unknown

One of my favorite lines in the poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson called Success is:
 “To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.”

Will anyone say, “Your presence is missed…your absence is felt” after you are gone. Will they?...

No comments:

Post a Comment