Thursday, April 10, 2014

“I Give Myself Away…”

We often hear this quoted in songs & prayers.

The song, “I Give Myself Away” by William McDowell discusses this loving act that we all should do. The lyrics are:

[Chorus:]
“I give myself away; I give myself away
So You can use me
I give myself away; I give myself away
So You can use me”
[Verse 1:]
“Here I am; Here I stand
Lord, my life is in your hands
Lord, I'm longing to see
Your desires revealed in me
I give myself away”
[Verse 2:]
“Take my heart; Take my life
As a living sacrifice
All my dreams all my plans
Lord I place them in your hands
[Bridge: x7]
“My life is not my own
To you I belong
I give myself, I give myself to you”

I am reminded of the image of Whoopi Goldberg & Patrick Swayze in the 1990’s movie Ghost. His character, Sam, who had been killed and is now a ghost, wanted to talk & touch his fiance’ Molly (Demi Moore) one last time. Oda Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg), a medium, sat quietly in a chair & allowed Sam to “morph” or blend into her body. He was then able to use Oda Mae's body to see Molly and touch her. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_(1990_film)

The question:  How do I allow GOD to use me?
I am learning that to ALLOW GOD TO USE ME is to surrender or release all control of what I think I am or any expected outcome, and let him use my talents, my experiences, my insights, my words, my thoughts, my actions, my very existence… for HIS purpose.

Most recently, my suppressed love for writing has emerged. This blog has been about my journey of surrender. Oftentimes, I am just “moved” to grab a pencil and a notepad. 

Many evenings, after waking up at 2:00 a.m., and writing 10 pages of inspiration, I fall back to sleep. When I arise at 7:00 a.m. and read what I wrote, I find myself having a “Steve Urkel” moment, like the animated character in the early 1990’s TV sitcom, Family Matters, asking, while in shock, “Did I do that?”  I whisper to myself, "It is my handwriting…those are my experiences…Wow! Did that actually come out of me?”

Allow GOD to use you. I can personally attest to the fact that He is literally working me over right now…and I have made the conscious decision to let Him. So, the question remains: 
Will you "give yourself away so the Lord can use you?"
Will you?...

No comments:

Post a Comment