Saturday, April 12, 2014

“Everything in Moderation?”

We live in a world now in which bad behavior has become so prevalent, that to be average is considered acceptable. I often hear people say this phrase to justify their "habits," yet to minimize its extreme disdain in comparison to the world. Thing such as:
“I drink…but only in moderation.”
“I curse a little…but just to emphasize my point & only in moderation.”
“I smoke one cigarette a day…never in front of my wife & kids, never in the house…and only in moderation.”
“I eat whatever I want…but only in moderation.”
Moderation or moderate is defined as “average in size or amount : neither too much nor too little; neither very good nor very bad; not expensive : not too high in price; avoiding extremes of behavior or expression :  observing reasonable limits <a moderate drinker>; calm, temperate; tending toward the mean or average amount or dimension; having average or less than average quality :  mediocre; professing or characterized by political or social beliefs that are not extreme; “
The word “moderation” is used only once in the (KJV) and once in the (NKJV) of the Bible.
Philippians 4:5 (KJV): Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
1 Timothy 2:9 (NKJV): in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing,

Unfortunately, the Bible does not reconcile this modern-day notion.
Revelation 3:15-16 (NKJV) says, “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot,  I will vomit you out of My mouth.”
The Bible doesn’t say that we can “do what we want to do, as long as it’s in moderation.” The Lord gave us all free moral will. So, either you will OBEY Him or you want.  There is no mention of your being allowed to be a “Moderate” Christian.
Either you love Him or you don’t. If you do love Him, then you have to do so completely…every 60 seconds per minute; every 60 minutes per hour; every 24 hours per day; every 7 days per week; and every 365 days per year. Every year after year…decade after decade…century after century…for as long as we shall live. Not just on Sundays or when it is convenient.
You can’t say you love your parents, but then disobey them. The two do not equal.
As a society, we have become clever, with Satan’s guidance, in rationalizing our actions, such as:
“Well, I know I am a diabetic. So, I will eat only this one Krispy Kreme donut.”
“Although I am a recovering alcoholic, I will only sip on this one drink.”
“I know my doctor told me that eating fried foods was putting my health at risk, so I will ONLY eat this one fried chicken leg.”
“I know I am not supposed to engage in pre-martial sex, but I am taking the pill or getting my Depo-Provera shot & practicing Safe Sex. This is 99% effective.” (Since God wants 100% of us, isn’t that 1% very scary to gamble with?)

“Moderation” is a cunning tool of Satan. Every time we give in to this notion, we become a little bit more vulnerable.  Lay’s Potato Chips’ advertising campaign challenged, “Bet you can’t eat just one.” There is also the quote: “You keep playing with fire, you will eventually get burned.”
2 Peter 3:9(NKJV) says, “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.” (longsuffering means “very patient during difficult times..”)
Please beware…although the Lord is patient with us, He does not like nor will He tolerate “lukewarm.” He does not allow us to “ride the fence” or “conveniently coast” into Heaven. We have to be totally-focused and fully-committed.
Remember Paul’s farewell address in 2 Timothy 4:6-8 (NKJV): "6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.”
We have to be like Paul and “fight the good fight.” We have to be “all in.”
Are You???

No comments:

Post a Comment