Friday, April 25, 2014

“Can’t See The Forrest for the Trees…”
I recall having heard this phrase for most of my life. I initially did not understand it. Now, I interpret it to mean that oftentimes, we are so involved in a situation, that we miss having a broader, rational perspective about it.
Imagine: We are busy running around trees. And they are all we see. However, if you are able to observe the area from a helicopter, you can now see how the trees are connected & enhance each other. You now see the forrest…
I have noticed that I have been “blasted” lately for sharing my observation or opinion. I have received feedback such as:
  • “Well, you don’t have a mother-in-law.”
  • “Well, you don’t have any children.”
  • “Easy for you to say…you’ve never been married.”
I had to pause and process the statements, and then emotionally not let them hurt me. I could easily receive them as personal jabs at me for milestones that I have never accomplished.
Common sense says, “You don’t have to be run over by a train yourself to know that it probably hurts.”
Oftentimes, I feel like someone in a movie theater. The person sitting in the back row can have a completely different perspective than someone on the front row.
Why do we constantly believe that if you have not had an experience, that you have no valuable insight or perspective?
  • We have had several Presidents of the US who have not served in the military, but were/are excellent Commander-in-Chiefs of our Armed Forces. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States_by_military_service
  • I know of phenomenal teachers who were never mothers.
  • There are air traffic controllers who have never flown an airplane. http://www.faa.gov/jobs/career_fields/aviation_careers/
  • There have been superior Athletic coaches who were never players themselves.
  • There have been respected people who have never been married or had children. Several include:  Mother Teresa, Florence Nightingale, Oprah Winfrey, George Clooney, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Sadie & Bessie Delaney (“Having Our Say”), etc.
I like the TV show Undercover Boss. This show focuses on company CEOs who go undercover to experience the jobs of their front-line employees. Although they do get an amazing perspective of their employees and their companies, they return to their role as CEO.

I worked for a for-profit university that had over 200 campuses across the US, as well as a few internationally. I managed the Middle Tennessee area. I remember initially being frustrated about some company policies or decisions. Then it dawned on me that I only had “my perspective.” Management sat “at the top of the mountain,” They made decisions that affected the entire US, not just Middle Tennessee.


Paul was not married, yet gave numerous directives for husbands and wives in 1 Corinthians 7:1-16 (NKJV).
Because you are not “emotionally” entangled in issues, it often allows one to see things that you may not see if you are “in the mix.”
I have held the opinion that just because Senator John McCain was a POW (prisoner of war) for 7 years does not qualify him as an expert in Foreign Policy.
I have observed a very heated debate lately regarding Education and the new theory of “Common Core.” The teachers who oppose it make comments like,“They don't know what they are talking about! Why, I’ve been a 3rd grade teacher for 30 years!”  I don't know all of the details about this method. However, I do know that when a 2-year-old can operate an iPhone, that the way I was taught 30 years ago is not going to be sufficient for this emerging "Millennial" generation. And the fact that the US is ranking 14th in the world when it comes to education means that we have to be more innovative. We have to understand that Federal policies have to meet the needs of the entire nation. We ALL have to broaden our perspectives. 
I have to admit, that as a woman, it is very frustrating to have men (lawmakers) dictating to me how I manage my body, with no input at all from women.
Although it may be helpful to have “walked in my shoes,” as long as one has great insight, listening & observation skills, expertise, critical thinking skills, wisdom, vision & empathy, (and faith in GOD) their input is valuable and worth considering....at least to me...
What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment