Friday, January 31, 2014

“You Have The Right To Remain Silent…”

We often think of this phrase as one stated by the Police, advising the suspect of his or her “Miranda Rights.” This warning is read after an arrest has been made and before police questioning is conducted.

The Miranda Warning says:
“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you?”   http://www.mirandarights.org/prearrestquestioning.html

I have found that this has implications for everyday life.

Once in my past, I went through a very rough time. I know I must have been a juicy subject to gossip about. One of the most profound pieces of advice I received was from my Daddy. A normally mild-mannered man, he fiercely and adamantly told me: “You don’t owe anyone an explanation of your life!”

Another learning lesson happened several years ago. I experienced some unexpected health issues that affected my speech. I found myself “not talking” in fear of a relapse. This was an eye-opening experience. It is amazing what you learn when you are forced to BE QUIET. You hear a lot of things you normally wouldn't because you have typically been doing all of the talking.

We ALL should be very thoughtful of our conversation. You let people know exactly who you are. I love Maya Angelou’s quote: “When people show you (tell you) who they are, believe them.”

People can ask you anything they choose. You have the right & choice as to what you respond to.

Sometimes, the best response is NO RESPONSE.

"Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing." - William S. Burroughs

Silence IS Golden.

Remember…You Have the RIGHT to Remain Silent…

Learn to exercise this right.

Shhh…



No comments:

Post a Comment