Sunday, January 26, 2014

“…Make it Real Or Else Forget About It…”

I was dressing for an elegant affair one evening. My sister’s sorority was hosting their Annual Christmas Ball.  I decided to “be brave” and attend.

I did what most women do. All day long, I tried on dress after dress. Which would make me look thinner?  Girdle or Spanx?

Finally…I sang to myself (Smooth by Carlos Santana, featuring Rob Thomas…”Give me your heart, Make It Real, or else FORGET ABOUT IT!”

I’m just going to wear what I have…period.

I entered the ballroom…looking confident on the outside…major insecurity on the inside.

Finally…I paused to look around. Women were there...all shapes, sizes, and colors…just being themselves. The men with them looked proud to have them by their side. I realized that they were not focusing on me. They were busy assessing their own selves.

I truly had to admire these women. They were going with what they had, confidently…focused on having an enjoyable evening.

I decided to adapt the same attitude. Interesting what a shift in attitude can give you.  

“Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.” - Dr. Wayne Dyer.         

I decided to tell my “inner critic” to SHUT UP and just have a great time.

And… guess what?

I did… 

No comments:

Post a Comment