Monday, January 27, 2014

Judging vs. Good Judgement…

It is interesting how we totally misunderstand the difference between judging and good judgement.

Dictionary.com defines:

Judge:
Verb - to form a judgment or opinion of; decide upon critically; to decide or settle authoritatively; to infer, think, or hold as an opinion; conclude about or assess
Judgement:
Noun - the ability to judge, make a decision, or form an opinion objectively, authoritatively, and wisely, especially in matters affecting action; good sense; discretion

Matthew 7:1-5 (NKJV) talks about the mandate “Do Not Judge.”
It states:  1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.”

Sometimes we get so busy judging others that we don’t even notice that they are also judging you. Often, if we are not careful, we are worse than those we are judging. We often find people GUILTY and pass the sentence on what WE think it should be…when we had no authority to do so in the first place.

We should spend more time in using “good judgement” towards each other and making better decisions about our OWN lives.

NOW HEAR THIS:   GOD did not appoint or anoint you as “Judge of the Universe.”

HE already sees & knows everything we think, say, or do…even before we think, say or do it.

As the younger generation says:  HE Got This! 

HE just needs you to be OBEDIENT. (defined as "willing to do what someone tells you to do or follow a law - www.merriam-webster.com)

God has lessons we all need to take. We need to STOP interfering with other people’s lessons & TAKE YOUR OWN.
------------
A harsh memory for me was when I was in the 3rd grade. I loved being a “Goodie-Goodie-Two-Shoes” and somewhat of a teacher’s pet. Mrs. Limbaugh had told the class to stop talking or we would get a paddling. (I know…unheard of these days…but very effective.)

Well...I felt it was my DUTY to emphasize, loudly and with authority, this mandate to the class.

And guess what?  Yep…she called me out into the hallway for a paddling!  I couldn’t believe it! I had broken the rule I was telling everyone not to!

My Mother was a Teacher’s Assistant at the school.  I was more petrified of her seeing me than I was of the paddling itself.  Mrs. Limbaugh had pity on me. She had another teacher be on “look-out” for my mother, gave me 3 quick wacks of the paddle and allowed me to rush back into the classroom. Major lesson learned…

Reminds me of this profound quote:

“Sometimes, you are so passionate with preaching to others to GET OUT OF THE RAIN – that other people are staring at you – because you are the only one DRIPPING WET!”

No comments:

Post a Comment