Friday, January 24, 2014

Different Time-Clocks…

As I continue to grow in wisdom, I now understand what caused me a lot of frustration and stress in my past.

Primarily, it is when people didn’t seem “to get it.”

I now understand that people are going to do things when THEY are ready. They are going to take sound advice WHEN they are ready to receive it.

People are on their OWN time-clock – NOT YOURS.

Stephen Covey often talks about his TIME Management MATRIX in his book, “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.”  The four quadrants are:
  1. Urgent – Important  (Crises; Deadline-Driven)
  2. Important – Not Urgent  (Prevention; Planning)
  3. Not Important – Not Urgent  (Busy work; Time-wasters)
  4. Urgent – Not Important   (Interruptions; Time-sensitive)

Something #1 “Urgent - Important” to you (such as reviewing a new business venture you are involved in) may be #3 “Not Important - Not Urgent” to me.

Once we grasp this concept, we will minimize getting upset and disappointed when people don’t do what we THINK they should do when we THINK they should do it.

You may not know what’s going on in other people’s lives. They may be dealing with home issues; job stress; children challenges; health issues; over-commitments; aging parents; finances; etc.

Guess What?  “YOU are not the center of other people’s lives.”

People march to the beat of their own drum or to the drums they like…not necessarily yours.

I personally no longer allow people to stress me out trying to force me onto their agendas. I calmly think about it. If it aligns with me…then I say "Yes."  If it does not…I typically reply, “Thanks, but that doesn’t work for me”…and remain silent.

No explanations – No apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment