Wednesday, October 1, 2014

“Man in the Mirror…”

"Man in the Mirror" is a song made popular by Michael Jackson and written by Glen Ballard and Siedah Garrett. Jackson's recording was produced by Quincy Jones and co-produced by Jackson.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_in_the_Mirror
Many of us are very familiar with the lyrics. The chorus is as follows:

I'm Starting With The Man In
The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways
And No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World
A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change…

As I grow older and wiser, life keeps revealing to me areas that I must work on myself. In order to grow, it is imperative to be honest…brutally honest… with myself regarding areas in which I need to surrender to God to truly fulfill His purpose for me.

It is so easy for us to judge others…to discuss their shortcomings, imperfections or failure to rise to our expectations of them. Yet, we rarely make the same assessment of ourselves.

I constantly see on Facebook people making harsh, judgmental and down-right mean comments about others. What is interesting is that the same could be said of them. Many spew this out, yet profess to be a Christian and to love others. I often “shake my head” in amazement wondering “Are we reading the same Bible?” How do they reconcile this?

Those who so eagerly criticize others make it quite obvious that they are not reflecting on themselves.

Working on oneself is extremely difficult. It requires you to be vulnerable to what is and to strive to see life as God would have us to…not as our human eyes do.

Case in Point:
I have been “licking my wounds” regarding negative things said about me behind my back. Yet, as I reflect on this, I am reminded by this quote:
“Don’t tell me what they said about me…Tell me why they were so comfortable saying it to you.” – Jay-Z
I am forced to reflect on how much “gossip” and negative talk I have allowed others to feel comfortable sharing with me. It has forced me to reconsider my actions, forgive myself and focus on sharpening my own integrity and character.

The Bible directs us:
2 Timothy 2:15 (NKJV): Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Romans 2:21 (NKJV): You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that a man should not steal, do you steal?
Titus 2:7 (NKJV): in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility,
2 Corinthians 13:5 (NKJV): Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.
Galatians 6:4 (NKJV): But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.

Memorable Quotes:
 “Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” – Leo Tolstoy
“Don’t expect to see a change if you don’t make one.” – unknown
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” – Gandhi
 “Don’t become too preoccupied with what is happening around you.  Pay more attention to what is going on within you.”  – Mary Francis Winters
 “How people treat other people is a direct reflection of how they feel about themselves.” – unknown
“Many people would be scared if they saw in the mirror, not their faces – but their character.” – unknown
“Everything that irritates us about others, can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” – unknown
 “Some people are brought into your life to be mirrors, to show you behaviors and habits that you need to change.” – unknown
"Attract what you expect, reflect what you desire, become what you respect, mirror what you admire." – unknown

Dealing with oneself is probably the most difficult yet rewarding endeavor any of us could ever aspire. Shall We?

No comments:

Post a Comment