Wednesday, October 22, 2014

“Lose To Win”

Fantasia Monique Barrino (born June 30, 1984), commonly known simply by the Fantasia, is an American R&B singer and actress. She rose to fame as the winner of the third season of the reality television series American Idol in 2004. On April 18, 2013, Barrino returned to American Idol singing "Lose to Win."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasia_Barrino

Some of the lyrics are:
[Chorus:]
“Have you ever needed someone so bad
But he ain’t willing to make it last?
Sometimes you gotta lose to win again.
If it makes you cry, cry, cry
And all you do is fight
Can’t get no sleep at night
Sometimes you gotta lose to win again.”

Although the song is directed to failed relationships, it actually has relevance to navigating life.

Cases in Point:
I recall in my first career as an Account Executive, my manager put me on probation primarily because I could not seem to make my outside sales partner do his job. I was panicked! I didn’t want to lose this job! In order to win again, I took my destiny into my own hands. Not only did this strategy prove successful for me, I became one of the Top Ten Executives and made the President’s Club for 5 years consecutively. I had to lose before I could win again…

After being betrayed by someone I considered a dear friend for over 9 years throughout my naive' 20’s, I lost all trust in friends. Thankfully, the Lord sent me two wise confidantes’ and mentors who have been my dearest, closest friends for the past 21 years. Losing helped me appreciate what I won…

Although I lost from two failed engagements, I won because I found myself.

I thought I had lost by my diagnosis of MS; however, it has helped me win by having a deeper relationship with the Lord, more empathy for others and even becoming a published author. I had to lose control of my health to learn to give control to God so that I could be on the path of winning…my soul.

The Bible gives us many examples of this:

Matthew 27 & 28 depict how Jesus LOST his life by being crucified, yet WON when he rose to sit at The Father’s right hand side in heaven.
Luke 16:19-25 (NKJV): The Rich Man and Lazarus – It appears that the rich man was winning and the beggar Lazarus was losing. Yet, after death the beggar won…life eternally with the Lord. Unfortunately, the rich man lost…he ultimately lost his soul.
The Book of Job describes the Life of God’s servant Job. He lost everything. However, his faithfulness to God, earned him victory. Job 42:12 (NKJV): 12 Now the Lord blessed the latter days of Job more than his beginning;
The Book of Exodus describes the life of Moses. His rearing by Pharaoh’s daughter afforded him a life of wealth and privilege. However, when he learned of his birth, he ended up losing everything. Yet, he was appointed by God to face Pharaoh and gain the release of the people of Egypt, which he did.

Memorable Quotes:
“We shall not cease from exploration; And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started; And know the place for the first time.” ― T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets
“Not until we are lost do we begin to find ourselves.”
“I never lose…either I win or I learn.”
“A winner is just a loser…who tried one more time.”
“What separates winners from losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of faith.” – Donald Trump
“Winning provides happiness. Losing provides wisdom.” – Neil Patel
“Failure defeats losers’ Failure inspires winners.“ - Robert T. Kiyosaki
“Losers are people who are afraid of losing.” - Robert Kiyosaki
“If you are not big enough to lose, you are not big enough to win.” - Walter Reuthers
“Losers see obstacles where winners see opportunities!”

It would be wise for us to see losses as stepping stones toward winning... 


No comments:

Post a Comment