Monday, October 27, 2014

“Swapping Ignorance”

My minister shared this insight in his Sunday morning message:

“I have been married 52 years. Why would I get marriage advice from someone married 52 days? I’ve done 52 days 365 times. Getting advice from someone doing the same thing as you is just two people swapping ignorance.”

This was profound wisdom for me.

I somewhat did this as I was publishing my book.  I continuously reviewed the format, style and publishing channels of people who I knew that had just published their first books. I bought their books, reviewed their writing styles and considered their book lengths. My mentor gently advised: “Why don’t you review what other New York Times Best-Selling Authors have done? Aren’t the others you are trying to use as models just beginning the process you attempting?”

I recall doing this often, especially as a college student.  I reflect back now and wonder why I would entertain advice from other students who were in the same boat that I’m in? What wisdom or foresight could they possibly give me? What could I possibly give to them? We would ask each other about purchasing textbooks, dealing with instructors, or managing dorm life. It didn’t dawn on us to ask Upperclassmen, Advisors or Tutors. We were, in fact, just “swapping ignorance” or our lack of knowledge and “best guesses” with each other.

The Bible tells us about wisdom:
Proverbs 1:2 (NKJV): To know wisdom and instruction, To perceive the words of understanding,
Proverbs 2:2 (NKJV):  So that you incline your ear to wisdom, And apply your heart to understanding;
Proverbs 4:7 (NKJV):  Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.
Proverbs 10:13 (NKJV): Wisdom is found on the lips of him who has understanding, 
Isaiah 33:6 (NKJV): Wisdom and knowledge will be the stability of your times,…
Ephesians 5:15 (ASV): Look therefore carefully how ye walk, not as unwise, but as wise;
James 3:17 (NKJV):  But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.
2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV):  For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Memorable Quotes:
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
“Most people are drowning in their delusional ignorance without knowing that their suffering was created by themselves.”
“Everything in life is easier when you don't concern yourself with what everybody else is doing.”
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” –  Stephen Hawking
 “Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance.” – Buddha
"If you only read the books that everybody else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." - Haruki Murakami
“You should never, never doubt something that no one is sure of.” – Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Decide today to avoid “swapping ignorance” and seek wisdom from God…

No comments:

Post a Comment