Friday, October 17, 2014

“Attention Span of a Gnat”

I couldn’t help giggling to myself at this response I received from a dear friend regarding his justification for not practicing Yoga or Meditation techniques to reduce stress and improve his health.

He said, “I tried them, but they didn’t work for me. You know I have the attention span of a gnat.”
My reply: “Sir…that’s why you need them.” J

This response made me think of our society. We seem to jump on the latest craze, trend or saying, and run with it…for the moment. The old phrase “15-minutes of fame” really rings true.

One can upload a video on YouTube and within minutes, it can go “viral.” Many instant celebrities have been discovered there including Justin Bieber and Psy of the famous “Gangman Style” video, with over 1 billion views.

There is the power of Social Media…Facebook, Twitter, Instagram…that can literally change the trajectory of your life with one post.

We are appalled by the unrest in Ferguson, MO…and within moments, we are saddened by the deaths of Robin Williams and Joan Rivers…moments later, we are concerned about the Ebola outbreak…moments later… we are captivated by our favorite TV shows’ season premieres.

Oftentimes, we have the “attention of a gnat” when it comes to God. Oh, we pray and call on him when things are going bad, such as an illness, accident, tragedy or hardship. However, when he answers our prayers favorable and life seems to be going well for us, we forget He even exists. Many of us fail to even thank Him for waking us up every morning, failing to understand that He didn't have to.

For example:
"I don't have time to read the Bible."
"I can't go to worship - I'm on vacation."
"I'm just too tired to make it to worship on Sunday morning - the game went into over-time or the concert didn't end until late on Saturday night."
"I am working on my paper for my Bachelors/Masters/Doctorate degree."
"I can't make it to Bible Study. I have to meet my friends for Happy Hour."

He makes us a "priority" and we tend to make Him an "option." 

Thankfully, God gives us individually his “undivided attention” all of the time. He has from the time he created us until eternity.

The Bible explains:
Jeremiah 1:5 (NIV): “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
Jeremiah 29:11(NIV):  For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
2 Corinthians 4:18 (NIV):  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
Isaiah 40:31(NKJV): 31 But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength;
Isaiah 41:10 (NKJV): 10 Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
Ecclesiastes 1:9 (NKJV): That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun.
Hebrews 2:1(NIV):  We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.
1 Corinthians 14:33(NKJV): For God is not the author of confusion but of peace,

Memorable Quotes:
“Perhaps the most important thing we ever give each other is our attention.” – Rachel Naomi Remen
“We want big directional signs from God. God just wants us to pay attention.” -  Lysa TerKeurst
“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” - Simone Weil
 “Blessings are often subtle, observable only to the humble and attentive.” – David A. Bednar
“Pay more attention to your Creator than your critics!!”
“God is never late. We are just impatient.”
 “God can bring peace to your past; purpose to your present and hope to your future.”
We should all strive to extend our attention span…toward GOD rather than the distractions of this world.  Will We?

No comments:

Post a Comment