Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A Deeper Look at  “Swapping Ignorance”

As I mediated on my previous post “Swapping Ignorance,” I began to reflect on other aspects of my life that I have done this:
  • Why would someone take advice from me about marriage and parenting? (I am single – never married, with no children)
  • Why have I listened to others about money when I am more financially stable than they are?
  • Why would I entertain Career Advancement advice from someone who is in the same role that I am?
  • Why take advice about how to start a business or how to write a book from someone who has never done it?
  • Why take Health Advice from someone who is unhealthier than me?
  • Why take relationship advice from someone who has been very unsuccessful in maintaining a good relationship?
  • Even sports-wise…Why would athletes take advice or entertain criticism from people sitting in the stands…who do not have what it takes to even compete?
  • Even politically…Why would I entertain advice about what the President of the United States should or should not be doing from people who are not qualified or credible enough to even be President?
  • Even spiritually…Why would I believe someone is a “Christian” who spews hate, curses, drinks obsessively, is sexually inappropriate and a rude person? Just because they attend worship on Sunday?  Obedience to God is a 24/7 practice…not just on Sundays or when you think no one is watching.

Boy…have I been guilty!  My problem is that I seem to give excellent advice…and when people take it, they seem to do incredibly well. I just need to learn to take my own advice…(Ouch! – truth hurts)

The Bible tells us:
2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV):  Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Matthew 7:1-4 (NKJV): Do Not Judge 7 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye?
Proverbs 12:15  (NKJV): The way of a fool is right in his own eyes; But he that is wise hearkeneth unto counsel.
Proverbs 19:20 (NKJV):  Hear counsel, and receive instruction, That thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.
Proverbs 1:2-5 (ASV): 2 To know wisdom and instruction; To discern the words of understanding; 3 To receive instruction in wise dealing, In righteousness and justice and equity; 4 To give prudence to the simple, To the young man knowledge and discretion: 5 That the wise man may hear, and increase in learning; And that the man of understanding may attain unto sound counsels:

Memorable Quotes:
“True Humility is staying teachable, no matter how much you already know.”
“Surround Yourself With People You Want To Be Like.”  — T.D. Jakes
“Research Your View:” Please don't make me try to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent. I research everything I possibly can because facts win arguments. - George Street III
“It’s what we think we know that keeps us from learning.” – Claude Bernard

We could all benefit by “staying in our own lanes,” not advising or “swapping ignorance” about things we don’t know or clearly understand, and seeking wise counsel from God…

No comments:

Post a Comment