Wednesday, October 15, 2014

“To Thine Own Self Be True…”

I have heard this quote from Shakespeare since High School English Class. It never really resonated with me.  I must admit that I really didn’t know what this Shakespeare phrase meant.

This reminds me of the movie Runaway Bride, a 1999 American romantic comedy film starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere. Maggie (Julia Roberts) jilted three men at the altar. Her fourth fiance’, Ike (Richard Gere), a NY reporter decides to get to the root of this. During his research for the story, Ike realizes that Maggie is adjusting her interests to mimic those of her fiancés in order to please them. This is signified most prominently by her choice of eggs, which changes with each fiancé. After jilting him as well, he returns to New York. She shows up unexpectedly at his apartment. Maggie then explains that she had been running because every other guy she was engaged to was only engaged to the idea she had created for them rather than the real her, but with Ike she ran because, even though he truly understood her, she didn't understand herself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_Bride_(film)

I basically did the same thing during my two failed engagements. I was focused on being who I thought they wanted me to be instead of staying true to who God created me to be. I also spent most of my life striving to please everyone else, instead of being true to ME. I thought by doing this, it would be pleasing to God...it isn't...

It really comes down to KNOWING ME.
If you don’t decide or define your own life or what is best for YOU…others will define & decide it for you…

The Bible says:
2 Samuel 22:26 (NIV): “To the faithful you show yourself faithful, to the blameless you show yourself blameless,”
2 Timothy 2:15 (NIV):  Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
James 4:10 (NIV): Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
Ephesians 4:22-24 (NIV): 22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
Psalm 139:14 (NIV):  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Psalm 139:16 (NIV):  Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Memorable Quotes:
“Be faithful to that which exists within yourself.” – Andre Gide
“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you into someone else is an accomplishment.” – unknown
“Once you’ve accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.” – unknown
“Whatever you are, be a good one.” – Abraham Lincoln
“Never waste your time trying to explain yourself to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.” – unknown
“Be Yourself. Everyone else is already taken.” – Oscar Wilde
“When I accept myself, I am freed from the burden of needing you to accept me.” -  Dr. Steve Maraboli
“You will never influence the world by trying to be like it.” – unknown

“BE GOOD TO YOU”
Be yourself, truthfully.
Accept yourself, gratefully.
Value yourself, joyfully.
Forgive yourself, completely.
Treat yourself, generously.
Balance yourself, harmoniously.
Bless yourself, abundantly.
Trust yourself, confidently.
Love yourself, wholeheartedly.
Empower yourself, immediately.
Give yourself, enthusiastically.
Express yourself, radiantly. – unknown

The key is to align yourself with who God created you to be… and be that.

No comments:

Post a Comment