Wednesday, October 8, 2014

“Bridge Over Troubled Water…”

"Bridge over Troubled Water" is a song by American music duo Simon & Garfunkel from their fifth studio album, Bridge over Troubled Water (1970). The song became Simon & Garfunkel's biggest hit single, and it is often considered their signature song. It became one of the most performed songs of the twentieth century, with over 50 artists, among them Elvis Presley and Aretha Franklin, covering the song. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_over_Troubled_Water_(song)

Some of the lyrics are:
When you're weary, feeling small,
When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all;
I'm on your side. When times get rough
And friends just can't be found,
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.

When you're down and out,
When you're on the street,
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you.
I'll take your part.
When darkness comes
And pain is all around,
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.

Oftentimes, life has many “troubled waters.” These come in the form of stress, relationship challenges, financial problems, work issues, children’s activities, health issues, auto repairs, accidents, unexpected events, death, etc.

God offers us that “bridge.” The Bible says:
Isaiah 43:2 (NKJV): When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you.
Matthew 11:28-30 (NKJV):  28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Psalm 55:22 (NKJV): Cast your burden on the Lord, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.
Psalm 94:19 (NKJV): In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul.
1 Peter 5:7 (NKJV): Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
Galatians 6:2 (NKJV): Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
Philippians 4:6 (NKJV): Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
1 Corinthians 13:7N (NKJV): (Love) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV): And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

We can be a bridge to others as Christ is a bridge for us. One way is to simple “give others’ a break.” We are not perfect. We ALL make mistakes. We don't see the world as everyone else because of our different experiences, personalities and concerns. We have to give others the same kindness, patience and forgiveness that we would hope they would give us.

Powerful Quotes:
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” – Charles Dickens
“I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.” - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
“It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.” – Lena Horne
“God is greater than the burdens you are carrying.” – unknown

Decide today to be someone’s “bridge over troubled water.” You will never know when you need someone to be yours…




No comments:

Post a Comment