Friday, August 1, 2014

“Light at the End of the Tunnel”

I recall when I lived in Delaware having to make the trek to Columbia MD for training sessions. This required going through Baltimore and the Ft. McHenry Tunnel. I hated this tunnel! Driving through it was the longest 60 seconds of my life! However, I truly learned to appreciate “the light at the end of the tunnel.”  I am somewhat driving through it right now.

I have been blessed that most of my 50 years of life have been in the light. Yes, I have dealt with my share of sorrow. I am reminded by some lyrics of one of my favorite songs by Gladys Knight titled You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me. A few of the lyrics are:

“I've had my share of life's ups and downs
But fate's been kind, the downs have been few
I guess, you could say that I've been lucky
Well, I guess you could say that it's all because of you…”

Being knocked down literally to my knees by the unexpected diagnosis of MS a few years ago sent me straight into darkness…sinking into the abyss…a depth that I have never known.

It was my minister, Dr. David Jones, Jr. that “threw me the life raft” when he explained to me that I was experiencing the “Stages of Grief.” I was grieving the “death of life as I had known it,” and experiencing Denial-Anger-Bargaining with God – Depression…striving to get to Acceptance and adapting a “new normal.” This was profound to me. I now had an explanation of what I was experiencing. I could now better wrap my arms around it to move forward.

During this time, my employer laid me off. I had a lot of time on my hand…most of which I spent in silence.

“It’s amazing how loud silence can be.” – Janette McGowen

The internal whisper in my spirit kept repeating itself over and over:
“Write.”  “Write.”  “Write.”

For once in my hard-headed, independent, control-freak life, I decided to be obedient. And the flood gates have burst open…

The journey continues to be a trying one. But I will keep moving…skinned knees…scars…bruises…fatigue…fear…until I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Wait?…do I see a speck of light?....

Hold on….now I see a glimmer….

Oh…now I see a single light beam….

There…There in the distance, I see more light….

I see it!  I see it!  Could it be?…….


#JustKeepMoving  #TooCloseToStopNow


No comments:

Post a Comment