Monday, August 11, 2014

“You Are Welcome…”

While driving on the interstate, en route to worship service on Sunday, I allowed 18-wheeler trucks to merge in front of me, as they had their turn signals on. I flashed my lights twice to indicate that I was allowing them to merge. Oftentimes, they would blink twice at me to indicate “Thank You.” I always find myself smiling and whispering “You are welcome.”

Other times, I may allow other vehicles to do the same. They do not blink their intentions, nor indicate any appreciation for the kind gesture I have just extended.  I find that I sadly shake my head and still whisper, “You are welcome” for a “Thank You” I never received.

This led me to reflect on how Jesus must feel. He died a horrific, agonizing death on the cross for us. Yet, we appear not to even be grateful. We don’t say “Thank You” for his allowing us to wake up and experience the blessings we enjoy each day.

We are often like the inconsiderate drivers. We just merge into life...no turn signal…no consideration for other traffic…no patience… no kindness…no gratitude.

Why do we expect the Lord to be patient with us, yet we have little to no patience for each other?

The Bible says:
2 Peter 3:9 (NKJV): “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering (patient) toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.”
Colossians 3:12 (NKJV): “Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering (patience);”
Galatians 5:22 (NKJV): “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness,”

Memorable Quotes:
“Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind.” -  David G. Allen
Patience is not the ability to wait but how you act while you wait.” – unknown
“Never Expect, Never Assume, Never Ask, Never Demand. Just Let it be. Because if it is meant to happen, it will…” – unknown
“A moment of patience in a moment of anger saves you a hundred moments of regret.” – unknown
“Before you act, listen; Before you react, think…” – Ernest Hemingway
“When you’re tempted to lose patience with someone, think how patient God has been with you all the time.” – unknown
“Be kind to unkind people – they need it most.” – unknown

Just remember: In this journey called LIFE, every single day you wake up, the Lord is quietly whispering, “You Are Welcome...”

No comments:

Post a Comment