Wednesday, August 27, 2014

“Who Do Men Say That I Am?”

After experiencing a beautiful weekend celebrating the marriage of my nephew to his best friend and love, it caused me to reflect on a few things. Every person who spoke of my nephew described him in a definitive, positive and loving way, as they did the same of my new niece.

The Question that came to my mind:
“How do others describe me? Is it clear, definitive, positive and consistent?”

Jesus Christ was travelling with His disciples one day. He felt compelled to ask them a question:  Mark 8:27 (NKJV): Now Jesus and His disciples went out to the towns of Caesarea Philippi; and on the road He asked His disciples, saying to them, “Who do men say that I am?”

I know people who are frustrated. Some because they are single, others because they are in a bad relationship, job, etc. Yet…one minute they are in church; the next minute, they are not. Sometimes they drink; sometimes they don’t. One minute, they are extremely articulate; the next minute, their speech is hard-core profanity. One moment they are in a good mood…the next minute, they are harsh and “have an attitude.” Their walk does not match their talk.

They are consumed with trying to be what they want others to think about them instead of remaining steadfast and consistently who they are. Others simply don’t know who you are.

People don’t know who to like or dislike, because you are so inconsistently and inauthentically you.

In the words of Shakespeare, “To Thine Own Self Be True.”

I recall watching the last season on the ABC TV show The Bachelorette. She is an Assistant District Attorney in Atlanta, GA. She went on a hometown visit with one of the final contestants. He was a very successful farmer from Iowa. He had an enormous farm and hoped to have his new wife be a homemaker, and future family make a home in the small town community. Although he was extremely handsome with a wonderful, kind personality, the Bachelorette could not see herself living there. I could not help but admire them both for remaining true to who they are. http://abc.go.com/shows/the-bachelorette/episode-guide/season-10/09-hometown-dates

Quotes to Consider:
“I am not what has happened to me. I am who I choose to become.” – Carl Jung
“Who you are; who you were; and who you will become are three different people.” – unknown
“Can you remember who you were before the world told you who to be.” – unknown
“Be careful who you pretend to be. You might forget who you are.” – unknown
“Care about being precisely who you are than what other people think of you.” – unknown
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” – Dr. Seuss
“Find out who you are and do it on purpose.” – Dolly Parton
“It’s now who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you are not.” – unknown

The ultimate answer will not be to the question, “Who do men say I am?” : 
I should be more concerned about, “Who does GOD say I am?”

No comments:

Post a Comment