Friday, August 8, 2014

There Will Always Be Something…

My former role as an Education Advisor often required me to do presentations to prospective students who may be interested in going back to school. The demographic was primarily employees and adults 35+ years old.
I always ended with this:

“I’d like to leave you with these two thoughts to consider:

FIRST:  There will ALWAYS be something you can use as an excuse not to pursue your dreams. We often say:
After the baby is born
After my child starts Pre-School…Kindergarten… Elementary School… Middle School… High School
After my child graduates college
After Basketball season…Baseball season…Soccer Season...Football season
After my Work Conference
In the Spring…Summer…Fall…Winter
After the 1st of the Year
After Thanksgiving…Christmas…Memorial Day…July 4th
After my vacation
After my knee surgery
When my aging parent’s health improves
When my health improves
When I can find the time..
…And the excuses continue.

What’s interesting is…We FIND the time to do whatever is really important to us. And when you completely, firmly make up your mind to do something…everything and everybody in your life unconsciously aligns with it.

Example:  Kids to each other: “You know we have to be make dinner on Thursday Nights…that’s Mom’s study time.”

Please stop putting your dreams on hold, waiting for the perfect time. The “perfect time” is NOW.

SECONDLY:  Whenever I need to make a decision about something that I am unsure about, I recall this story:
“A woman had just celebrated her 50th Birthday. She shared with a friend, “Now that the kids are off to college, I guess it is time for me.”
The friend: “What would you like to do?”
“I have always had a passion and desire to be an attorney.”
The friend: “That is great! You should go for it.
“Are you kidding? Law School and then passing the Bar exam take approximately 4 years. Heck, I would be 54 years old by then.”
The friend: “How old will you be if you don’t go?”  (pause)
“You can either be a 54 year old ATTORNEY, living your dream…or you can be a 54 year old woman still dreaming about it. You decide…”

The calendar nor the clock care what you do with your time. We all have the same allotment of time: 24 hours; 1,440 minutes; 86,400 seconds to use daily.

Quotes to Consider:
“The trouble is, you think you have time.” – Buddha
“Life has no remote – get up and change it yourself.” – unknown
“Time is Precious, Handle with Grace. Time is one thing you cannot Replace.” – unknown
“Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is.” - Mark 13:33 (NKJV)
“Time is Free, but it is Priceless. You can’t own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep it, but you can spend it. Once you have lost it, you can never get it back.” – Harvey Mackay
“It’s not about having time; it’s about making time.” - unknown

The time is NOW.

What Are You Waiting On?

No comments:

Post a Comment