Friday, August 22, 2014

 “No Longer MIKEY…”

As a Late Baby Boomer, I remember the Life Cereal commercial:
The iconic commercial centers on three brothers eating breakfast. Lying before them sits a heaping bowl of Life breakfast cereal. Two of the brothers question each other about the cereal, prodding each other to try it. Noting that it is supposed to be healthy, neither wants to try it ("I'm not gonna try it—you try it!"), so they get their brother Mikey to try it ("Let's get Mikey"), noting, "he hates everything." Mikey briefly stares at the bowl. After moments of contemplation, Mikey begins to vigorously consume the cereal before him, resulting in his brothers excitedly exclaiming, "He likes it! Hey, Mikey!" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Mikey

I have to admit, my ego loved me being consider the “Go-To Girl.” It was often said, “If you want it done professionally and done right, call on Janette McGowen.” My life was consumed with living up to that reputation.

I didn’t mind being  a “Mikey.” My fearlessness and natural curiosity are good attributes for this.

However, as I grow in age and wisdom, I noticed that people always wanted things from me…my time, commitment, resources, favors, energy, listening ear or generous heart. When I finally stopped and assessed, I realized that it was rarely reciprocated.

It is part of my DNA to seek to do GOOD.

The Bible even underscores this:
Luke 6:33-35 (NKJV):  “33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. 35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil.”

Memorable Quotes:
“Don’t make people a priority when all you are to them is an option.” – unknown
“What you allow is what will continue.” – unknown
“You teach people how to treat you by what you allow, what you stop and what you reinforce.” – unknown
 “Don’t let someone change who you are to become what they need.” – Brene’ Brown
“A life filled with mistakes, error and regret is much better than a ‘perfect’ one where others make choices for you.” – Brene’ Brown
“Be willing to let go of who you think you should be, in order to be who you are.” – Brene’ Brown

Bottom-line:
Minimize your need to be a “Mikey” and Just Be YOU.

“GIVE, but don’t allow yourself to be used.  LOVE, but don’t allow your heart to be abused. TRUST, but don’t be naïve. LISTEN, to others, but don’t lose your own voice.” – Brene’ Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment