Wednesday, August 6, 2014

“Having the Life-Force Sucked Right Out of You…”

I couldn’t help remembering the 1985 movie Cocoon, when aliens inhabited the earth to rescue cocoons that had accidentally come here. The swimming pool, at the house they were renting, was infused with “life force” to keep the cocoon viable until they returned home to outer space. When the residents of the retirement home next door learned of its ability to rejuvenate them back to their vibrant youth, they all jumped in the pool, draining it of its life force and effectiveness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoon_(film)

There is also that 1982 classic movie E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. It too was based on an alien who appeared to be losing his life energy. At the point of death, his life energy is revived when other aliens come to return him back to their planet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._the_Extra-Terrestrial

I never experienced this until this new journey with MS. I recall my neurologist recommending I stay out of the heat of summer. He asked, “Are you heat-sensitive?” I emphatically said, “No. Never.” I have been to the Bahamas twice, in Nigeria West Africa, and several times to Phoenix AZ. No problem…
That is…until now…

One day, I was attempting to walk into my church for Mid-Day Bible Study. It was an extremely hot day, with temperatures at 92 degrees. I had parked under the canopy for quick access to the entrance. When I got out of my car, I felt like a bottle of water being poured out onto the ground or an electrical battery lowly being drained of its charge. With each step, I became weaker and weaker. Thank goodness, the church secretary saw me out of the office window, came outside and helped me into the church. It was embarrassing. Having my body do things that are out of my control was disturbing. Interesting still…as soon as I “cooled down,” I slowly revived and returned to my somewhat-mobile self.

Oftentimes, life can “drain you dry.” This can occur by stress or focus on pleasing others, i.e., our employer, friends, family, involvements and children’s schedules. This is similar to a plant that has not been watered. It begins wilting. When it is watered, it rises back to its optimum health. We must "water" ourselves by minimizing stress, living a healthy life style and setting appropriate boundaries. We would be better off if we diverted our focus toward pleasing God.

The Bible addresses ways to “revive:”
Psalm 37:4 (NKJV): Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 23:3 (NKJV): He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake.
James 4:8 (NKJV): Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Matthew 6:33 (NKJV): But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Memorable Quotes:
“People inspire you or they drain you. Pick them wisely.” – unknown
“Be a fountain, not a drain.” – unknown
“Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It drains today of its strength.” – unknown
“Life is too short to spend with people who suck the happiness out of you.” – unknown

Life is precious and incredibly brief.

“Revive your light. Manifest your dreams. Realize your worth.” – unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment