Wednesday, July 30, 2014

“My Grace is Sufficient…”

I had heard this scripture often in my life:

2 Corinthians 12:9 (NKJV):  And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

This is God’s answer to a plea from Paul. He said that, in order to keep him from being conceited, he was afflicted with a “thorn in the flesh,” a messenger of Satan, to torment him. He asked God three times to please remove it. The answer he received was “My grace is sufficient.”

Thorn in the flesh is a colloquialism used to describe a chronic infirmity, annoyance, or trouble in one's life. It is most commonly used by Christians. The source of this Bible expression is Paul the Apostle, in his Second Epistle to the Corinthians 12:7–9. Paul does not mention the nature of his thorn, and his other epistles do not address the topic directly. Through the centuries Christians have speculated about what Paul referred to. One interpretation is that the thorn describes the persecutions and unfortunate accidents that characterized Paul's life after his conversion to Christianity; as laid out in the preceding chapter 11 of the Second Epistle to the Corinthians. Others suppose the expression refers to "a pain in the ear or head," epileptic fits, or, in general, to some severe physical infirmity, which was a hindrance to the apostle in his work. (comp. 1 Cor. 2:3; 2 Cor. 10:10; 11:30; Gal. 4:13, 14; 6:17). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorn_in_the_flesh

In an article, “Ten Reasons Why God’s Grace Is Sufficient Specifically For You,” the author highlights these instances:
When a sickness strikes, the Lord’s grace is expedient enough to heal and prolonged enough to demand a dependence on Him that was never before seen.
When resources are scarce…
When faced with a conflict…
When uncertainty is tainting your mood…
When people fail to live up to your expectations…
When a dark season befalls your life
When exponential growth is not instantly visible in your ministry…
When it seems that you are lacking something…
When it seems as if though the gospel has stopped spreading…
When it seems as if though you are not accomplishing much… http://bogdankipko.com/ten-reasons-why-gods-grace-is-sufficient-specifically-for-you/

Memorable Quotes:
“I simply think God is greater than our weakness. In fact, I think it’s our weakness that reveals how great God is.” – Max Lucado
Philippians 4:13 (NKJV): “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
“When you feel guilty for being sad, remember that Walt Disney was a manic depressive.” – unknown
“The weakest part of my life can become the strongest part of my faith.” – unknown
“Until God opens the next door for you, praise him in the hallway.” – unknown
“Every weakness you have is an opportunity for God to show His strength in your life.” – unknown
“You can’t use an egg unless it is broken.” – unknown

This personally resonated with me. I was having a somewhat-challenging day. I quietly pleaded, “Lord, please ease me of these achy feelings and mobility issues so I can better serve you?” I continued to hear a quiet whisper that kept repeating, “My grace is sufficient.” 

I believe it meant that God knows my struggle. However, he has given me “just enough” to do what He wants me to do. I need to TRUST HIM. 

Don’t You???


No comments:

Post a Comment